CO2 Sulphur Scrubbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I was recently reminded of an old trick for reducing sulphur in brews by scrubbing them with CO2. You have to have a Cornie keg and a CO2 tank. Once the beer has been transferred to the Cornie, your purge the beer by running your CO2 through the liquid/out line and relieving the pressure through the relief valve on top. As the CO2 runs through it scrubs out the sulphur. You will have to play with length and pressure. I always used a light pressure and did it over a bit of time. Perhaps some of you know more of the science involved here and can speak to issues around temperature and such. Generally, I did this after the beer had been transferred and chilled for carbonating, and so the beer was generally around 32 degrees. I would scrub for maybe 5 minutes off and on and then proced with carbonating.

Might get more reads if you posted in the 'beer section' old boy! - Maybe a mod will move this?

Include some copper in your boil and it should eliminate the need to scrub it with CO2 to remove the H2S. I use an 8" copper pickup tube in my BK. If it's too late you can rack it on to a piece of copper in the secondary. Cheers!!!

Back