Rubbermaid 7 Gallon Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrew

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these? I am going to start doing partial mashes and wanted something that would serve me well for when I go all grain in the future. The 10 seems too big for me. I don't like and will never do a real heavy all grain beer.

I have the Rubbermaid 48qt. If the 7 gallon has the same insulation, you'll be happy with it.

Agree with Brian, "Never say never." And if you decide to do a brew with a protein rest and mash out, the extra space will be needed.

yeah, whether you are making a "big beer" or a larger quantity or whatever, there is always the possibility a bigger mash tun will get used in the future. i currently am using this one i got from target pretty cheap and usually i only fill it about half-way. always works great!

IGLOO 10-gallon Cooler

I use a Rubbermaid 5 Gallon water cooler (same as the Gott). I has worked great for Partial Mash and full AG brewing. I had about 9 pounds of grain in the 5 gal cooler once. I say go for it. It should work for you. Just remember that with this joyous hobby once you brew a full AG and you really lke you'll try o go for larger batches. I know I'm contimplating it. I have done a few 5 gal brew but I want more of the same beer, epecially if I like it. 2.5 cases of beer goes quick if it taste great.

:rockin:
Bill

I just bought this 7 gallon cooler myself. I build a square PVC manifold as I figured there was too much surface area for one braid line to be able to drain properly. I'm going to try a partial mash in it tonight, and see how it goes.

I just bought this 7 gallon cooler myself. I build a square PVC manifold as I figured there was too much surface area for one braid line to be able to drain properly. I'm going to try a partial mash in it tonight, and see how it goes.

how did the suare anifold work out i this cooler? Verses the the Braid?

I just got this cooler. Not bad for $30 shipped. It didn't come with a drain, but there was a thinned portion on the bottom that was easily drilled with a 7/8 in bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got this cooler. Not bad for $30 shipped. It didn't come with a drain, but there was a thinned portion on the bottom that was easily drilled with a 7/8 in bit.

If you have a Walmart near you, you should be able to get that same cooler. I bought one a few years back, and it was like 14 bux, with a drain. I'm not sure what you mean a real "heavy" beer, but I suspect it won't take long before you decide you need a bigger cooler (10-12 gallon) if you start doing all grain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, that's what I ended up getting for my new MLT. I had a rectangle 48qt with a pvc manifold that finally disintegrated from the heat. I was never real happy with that, as when I did light beers, the grain bed was way to thin, and with the smaller grain bills.....it didn't hold the heat in as well, but it worked well for anything with say 12 lbs on up. I chewed and chewed on what to replace it with for my next one.......waivering on what to get. I wanted to do fairly big 5 gallon batch beers, but also did not want to have to thin a grain bed for light lagers, a concern with the 10 gal igloo. The 5 gal was unacceptable to me, because of the roughly 13 lb grain max capacity (really, anything over 11 lbs gets to be a PITA in it mess wise IMHO), as the majority of my brews are between 8 and 15 lbs. So, I split the difference......got the 7 gallon rubbermaid and bazooka screen w/ the kewler kitz conversion. IMHO, the 7 gallon is spot on perfect for virtually all of my brewing, from my light euro style pils, to big bochs and stouts. When I do really big beers.....I've got a cheapo rectangular cooler, it takes 5 minutes to pull the kewler kitz/bazooka off the 7 gallon cooler and throw it on the big cooler.

I figure a comfortable grain load is roughly 2.5 lbs per gallon of capacity (shape and design dependent), so I think I can squeeze 17.5 + lbs out of it, but anything over 16, I'd probably just use the bigger cheapo cooler.

Actually, that's what I ended up getting for my new MLT. I had a rectangle 48qt with a pvc manifold that finally disintegrated from the heat.

wtf? Why is PVC disintegrating? It should be pretty strong stuff!!

Is that why lot of you are using Copper?

wtf? Why is PVC disintegrating? It should be pretty strong stuff!!

Is that why lot of you are using Copper?

Nah, the PVC was fine......the cooler itself disentegrated. It was old when I converted it.....and the heat overtime has caused it to warp and britilize the plastic. I never used boiling water in it, it's just an age and overuse thing. I still have the manifold and wouldn't hesitate to use it again. If fact, now that I think about it......I'll probably just put it in my el cheapo rectangular for big beers instead of swapping out the bazooka.

Back