Kolsch Room Temp Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefeweizen

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a Kolsch this weekend. I read the recipe as well as some things on here that recommend a long cold second conditioning period. Two things, I am too impatient to wait two to three months in secondary (unless it is totally necessary) and second, I am in FL and have no way to keep it cold in secondary.

My question is how will the lack of a cold secondary affect the taste and also how long should I age in secondary before bottling?

Thanks,

Ron

You can brew. My Kolsch is certainly drinkable inside of 4-5 weeks. Maybe not crystal clear by that point, but very tasty.

I'd suggest you do everythingyou can to keep the carboy cooled down. Even using the large bucket with cool water and a t-shirt wrapped around the carboy will buy you several degrees.

Kolsch ferments well at a wide range of temps, but the higher the temp, the more floral or fruity esters you're going to get. To many...that's not a bad thing.

The reason you want to condition the Kolsch is to drop that low flocculating yeast out of suspension. It affects the clarity and to some degree taste as you will be ingesting and tasting yeast too.

IF you dont condition you will still have good beer, just not beer to style. If you are one that does not care about style, drink on brother!!!!

I am fortunate to have 8 kegs full of beer at home so the Kolsch i made 6 weeks ago can continue to age until i "need" them.

Im having no troubles lagering in south fl.! I cant find the link but it recommends using a cooler and submerging half the carboy in a water bath and a few frozen bottles. It sounds painful however I found the cooler does an excellent job at holding temps. at any level. I use 2 1-liter frozen water bottles and a small water bath with ice added as necessary. No problem!

60 Quart cooler with personalized lid to fit carboy size (5,6,6.5 gal carboys require different size holes in lid)

Nimrod3388 said:
Im having no troubles lagering in south fl.! I cant find the link but it recommends using a cooler and submerging half the carboy in a water bath and a few frozen bottles. It sounds painful however I found the cooler does an excellent job at holding temps. at any level. I use 2 1-liter frozen water bottles and a small water bath with ice added as necessary. No problem!

60 Quart cooler with personalized lid to fit carboy size (5,6,6.5 gal carboys require different size holes in lid)

Thanks for the tip. I will have to look into this.

-Ron

Back