What to do with Distiller's Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerG

Reaction score
When I was ordering ALL of my stuff to get back into brewing, I saw a yeast product that boasted high alcohol tolerance, Super Start, and seemed like a bargain at $7 lb; so I got two. After I received it I thought, "Man, that's a lot of yeast."

I try to read as many threads as possible to avoid duplicate questions but - what does one do with distiller's yeast?

Distiller's yeast? I haven't a clue. Try some ultra high gravity brews and see what turns out. It could be quite the educational experience for us all.:drunk: :tank:

Isn't distiller's yeast kind of a "sledgehammer" yeast- lots of alcohol, but not very clean? I've read that you'll not make a very good beer with it, since the main focus is to produce something with a high abv that you can then distill, leaving all the nastiness behind. I'd try to sell it.

If you are looking for a good high gravity yeast you should try WLP099 from White Labs, it is a good high gravity ale yeast that will tolerate up to 25% ABV.

Cheers

Just the way that it's packaged in a vaccuum sealed clear plastic says bulk - cheap - bulk. Maybe this stuff is for making ethanol fuels?

Since buying it, and experimenting with various HB suppliers, I have noticed it offered at one other store. I'll drop a line to the supplier and see what they have to say about it. I could save it in case I flee up to the mountains. I like the yeast nutrient idea - after I research the subject.

The WLP099 sounds cool - good link. I was only looking to go up to about 9.5% one day with a double IPA and am getting a lot of good advice at our site. That link to the homedistiller's site is very interesting.

Thanks for the inputs - I'll post feedback after I find out exactly what it's used for.

I use it to dry out barley wines. It also does a good job on ciders IF you don't add any sugar AND keep it cool. And yeast nutrient, several orders of magnitude cheaper than the real stuff.

One other problem. Once the bag is open, the yeast lose viability.

Back