Spare parts beer! EXTRAS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheepbeer

Reaction score
Hey all... I have
2.2 lbs of Premier Malt (unhopped)
1 lb of dried breiss amber malt
1 lb of dextrose
1oz UK kent golding hops

How would you guys cook this up?
How much water?
How long to ferment.
when to add hops?

Thanks... Im a newbie who has these supplies on hand and am wondering if they have the potential to make a good beer??

How would you all go about this?

I would do it as a 2.5gallon batch. Use 1/2oz. Hop additions at 60 & 10 min. I would need a 3.8gallon pre boil volume for my system.

Thanks Gils
Are we getting a pretty strong beer at those gallons? Do I add the dry malt after the boil and stir in, or boil it along for the hour
?

Thanks again.

woo-hoo 6.5 sounds good to me... Its boiling away now. Im home alone and have the time to do it right.

Update... I did exactly as you said and got a 1.50 reading at 67 degrees after adding more cool water.... shook it up...Tossed dry yeast... shook it again.

(Boiled it in 1 1/2 gallons and added a 1 & 1/4 gallon of cool water after chilling pot in ice bath to 80..... ended up with 67 degrees.)

I would have boiled it all but I have a broken heelbone and I have to carry this stuff up and down to basement.lol.

When a car is made from left over parts in a garage, it is commonly called a “Rat Racer”. I often do this with grains left over from other recipes and call them “Rat Beers”. That is really a fun thing to do! There are a lot of free websites out there to help develop your recipe. However, I use iBrewMaster for stuff like that.

I agree, you want to do a 2.5 gallon batch. However, if you can get about 6 pounds more malt, and two more ounces of hops, you can make a full 5 gallons, for little money. The work is about the same for twice as much beer. I find that having more beer is never a bad thing, especially for the same amount of work. My personal opinion is to drop the dextrose, I’m not a fan of boosting alcohol in beer. I can drink more then.

When a car is made from left over parts in a garage, it is commonly called a “Rat Racer”. I often do this with grains left over from other recipes and call them “Rat Beers”. That is really a fun thing to do! There are a lot of free websites out there to help develop your recipe. However, I use iBrewMaster for stuff like that.

I agree, you want to do a 2.5 gallon batch. However, if you can get about 6 pounds more malt, and two more ounces of hops, you can make a full 5 gallons, for little money. The work is about the same for twice as much beer. I find that having more beer is never a bad thing, especially for the same amount of work. My personal opinion is to drop the dextrose, I’m not a fan of boosting alcohol in beer. I can drink more then.

Hey Lopat... I have some lighter alc beers waiting in bottles from 2 5 gal batches... I needed a monster rat! ;) 6.5 for special occasions. LOL.

GILSWILL!! How long would YOU leave this ferment in a single stage before bottling?? (Im stealing your knowledge a bit... sorry ;)
Then how long would these bottle want to condition in 22 oz bottles?

Wondering if I could add a little molasses or vanilla somewhere along the process... for sweetness & flavor???

OK I bottled it today and it tastes like old chub scotch ale... not bad at all. I will keep this recipe and maybe add a few more hops next run.... But I will do this again. At first I thought it was too thick but I'm liking it more & more.

Back