Lenght of primery fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
Brewed an Irish red ale last Sunday night. It was bubbling away mon, tues and wed. Is that long enough for primary fermentation. I know the yeast is still working away.
It has been in a swamp cooler at 66/68
Thanks for the replies :)
Slainte

Not likely. Mine needed a week. You'll want at least two weeks to make sure fermentation is done. And the only way to be sure will be to take a hydrometer reading. Don't go by the bubbles. It's even better to let it sit for a third week to help clear the beer. Patience truly is a virtue in this hobby, if you can manage it.

Do yourself a favor, and your beer, and just leave it for 3 weeks before touching it. Don't even bother with gravity readings till then. Your beers will be good, more than likely completely finished, and it's stress free.

...It was bubbling away mon, tues and wed. Is that long enough for primary fermentation. I know the yeast is still working away.

You answered your own question.

As others have said, let it wait. Three weeks is a nice standard.

I really enjoy studying the beer in the carboy during all of the stages. You wont believe how much you will learn by shining a light into the beer, watching the floaties do their thing- at each stage- you can look at a beer and tell its done- when its done. By waiting 3 weeks- you give yourself a nice clean settled beer

I will be leaving it in the Carboy for 5 weeks. Will be out of town.
Thanks for the replies
Slainte

Back