Wheat Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mradicsh

Reaction score
Still learning but, I made two 1 gallon batches of a Wheat beer on 1/29/12 using 2 different yeasts to see how they were different. My question is how long to wait to bottle a wheat? I have heard it can be done much quicker than most other beers. I have a hydrometer and my OG after boil was ~1.053 (still learning to read) With the recipe below what would you suggest? Also any thoughts on the recipe?

2 1 gallon batches of:

1.12 lbs Pale Wheat
1.12 lbs Pilsner Malt
.2lb Vienna Malt

.15oz Spalt hops (2/3 at 60min, 1/3 at 30 min)
.05oz Saaz hops @ 10 min

Fermented one with a half pack of Fermentis WB-06 and one with a half pack of T-58. Both took off about 3 hours after pitching and have calmed down now.

I just brewed up a Belgian Witbier yesteray. My OG is 1.052 and my final should be around 1.011. Your hydrometer is the only way you can tell when it's ready to bottle or keg.

Gary

What does wheat beer taste like? I don't know that I've ever had any. Is it like a Belgian (sweet, to my taste, I don't like 'em), or like a lager...an ale? I may try brewing one depending on what it's like....

I just brewed up a Belgian Witbier yesteray. My OG is 1.052 and my final should be around 1.011. Your hydrometer is the only way you can tell when it's ready to bottle or keg.

Gary

I figured the hydrometer was key, but I have seen a lot of posts saying how fast wheat beer is from boil to bottle to belly. Wondering if there is anything specific that makes that happen.

Just-a-Guy said:
What does wheat beer taste like? I don't know that I've ever had any. Is it like a Belgian (sweet, to my taste, I don't like 'em), or like a lager...an ale? I may try brewing one depending on what it's like....

Blue moon is a very common wheat beer.

For an American wheat, boulevard makes a good one, and breckenridgebrewery makes an agave wheat that is excellent.

The best wheat beer I have tasted is Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. It has a wonderful malty, yeasty flavor. Pour 2/3 into a glass, swirl the rest in the bottle and finish pouring. I like the bottles too.
I just brewed Kellerweis clone with the Kellerweis yeast from the dregs. That is one angry yeast!
I'll let you know how it taste in a month or so. :D

Thanks. Can't stand the stuff. That tells me what I need to know. Many like it, so enjoy....

blue moon is a belgian style wit beer so it does not represent most other wheat beers. boulevard and widmer brothers american wheat beers are totally different and paulaner/franziskaner hefeweizen beer represent yet another style.

Wheat beers are incredibly diverse. They tend to taste like wheat because, well there's usually a lot of it. They range from very wheat/malt forward to specific yeast flavors to hoppy to spiced to fruited to sour to high ABV to very dry.

Back