cold crashed secondary right away --- did we screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melcher

Reaction score
hi guys,

myself and 2 other guys are on our 12th batch of brew. we decided to try something different and i'm wondering if we screwed up.

We brewed NB's phat tyre extract kit which calls for 2 week primary and 2 week secondary.

after the 2 week primary the sg was right where it needed to be and we racked to secondary. instead of leaving the secondary at room temp, we put it in the fridge to cold crash it.

was this a mistake, or is secondary more for clearing and it will be ok?

That was not a mistake. Cold crashing is a good way to settle out any yeast/hops/trub or whatever that has not dropped yet among other things. I cold crash most of my beers, though I don't usually rack them over to a secondary to do it. Two or three weeks in primary is perfectly fine, you really don't even need to use a secondary for 99% of beers.

excellent... one of the guys was worried that we didnt give it 4 weeks at room temperature.

he got me curious too - i had always thought secondary was for clearing and so cold crashing would be better.

Back