Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see a lot of conversation in this thread regarding conversion to extract. It seems like the most simple conversion would be to replace the 7lbs of MO with 5.25lbs of MO LME. I hate wasting LME, due to cost. So, one could use 6 lbs. This would raise the OG by around 7 points, if my calculation is correct. But would it better to leave the extra 3/4 lb out, and stick with the original recipe so as to not disturb the balance? I haven't made this one before, so I'm looking for some collective knowledge from those who have....

I didn't see a lot of conversation in this thread regarding conversion to extract. It seems like the most simple conversion would be to replace the 7lbs of MO with 5.25lbs of MO LME. I hate wasting LME, due to cost. So, one could use 6 lbs. This would raise the OG by around 7 points, if my calculation is correct. But would it better to leave the extra 3/4 lb out, and stick with the original recipe so as to not disturb the balance? I haven't made this one before, so I'm looking for some collective knowledge from those who have....

But this recipe can't really be converted to extract unfortunately, as the oats must be mashed. It could maybe be a partial mash, but that would require like 4 pounds of two-row, or six-row, to get conversion so you'd still be required to mash about 8 pounds of grain total.

But this recipe can't really be converted to extract unfortunately, as the oats must be mashed. It could maybe be a partial mash, but that would require like 4 pounds of two-row, or six-row, to get conversion so you'd still be required to mash about 8 pounds of grain total.

Thanks for the quick reply! I was just getting ready to reply to my own post, but you beat me to it!

I realized that after I posted it, forgot about the oatmeal. I'm going to have to re-think my plan a bit. Could a partial mash of this size be done with only a 5 gallon kettle?

Thanks for the quick reply! I was just getting ready to reply to my own post, but you beat me to it!

I realized that after I posted it, forgot about the oatmeal. I'm going to have to re-think my plan a bit. Could a partial mash of this size be done with only a 5 gallon kettle?

If you have a way to mash the oats, and then maybe steep the other grains, and then combine that into the kettle, then I think it could work.

I've never done a true BIAB mash, but you may be able to get a big BIAB bag and mash 8 pounds of grain in the kettle and then sparge up to your desired boil volume, and then add the extract at flame out. If you could do that, that would be my preference I think!

If you have a way to mash the oats, and then maybe steep the other grains, and then combine that into the kettle, then I think it could work.

I've never done a true BIAB mash, but you may be able to get a big BIAB bag and mash 8 pounds of grain in the kettle and then sparge up to your desired boil volume, and then add the extract at flame out. If you could do that, that would be my preference I think!

I like the BIAB idea. I have a big bag that I normally use for filtering between primary/secondary/keg. It's big enough for a 5 gallon BIAB. I will work with the recipe and see what I can make happen on paper.

What you can do if you have a bag big enough, or an old sheer curtain, is line a regular cooler and do the mash in that. Pull the bag and grain out , poor into your kettle, and continue as usual.

Checked the gravity today, almost 2 weeks since brewing, and it's at 1.024. I swirled the bucket a little to try and rouse the yeast to get it down a little further.

1728 seems to be a slow starter but aggressive once it kicks in so I'm not sure how much lower it'll go. Only thing I can think is maybe by mash temp was a little high. I only checked it once and usually in check a few times after stirring to make sure I don't measure a hot spot or something.

Either way hydro sample was delicious, good chocolate taste balanced by the roast in the finish. Even if it doesn't finish any lower this is going to be delicious. Another week or so then I'm bottling it.

Quoting myself, I know bad etiquette. Checked gravity again and it hasn't dropped, I think she's at FG, which puts it right around 3.5% ABV. Not what I want but for late spring early summer drinking it's not a bad thing either. Hoping to bottle it up this weekend. Hydro sample had a little more roast/coffee flavor this time, but going by one of Yooper's first few comments in this thread that may be normal and will mellow out in a week or two, I don't mind it where it's at but some might find it a bit much.

Excuse my ignorance but am I right to assume this is a 5 gal batch. Am in NZ so trying to convert to Metric. Guessing around 20litres. Cheers!

Just started serving this on the nitro tap. Great stuff! Despite my miscalculation of using Black Patent instead of Black Roasted. We'll chalk that one up to user error. Still very enjoyable.

If anyone is interested I had 1.052 to 1.014 using Wyeast 1084 @ 18C. 3 week primary and 1 week in keg before serving. Next keg is currently primed and carbing in the closet. Might post back in a couple months when it's tapped to weigh in on conditioning.

I've had two bottles so far, one the base recipe and one from 3 gallons that I added vanilla to. The base is great, smooth and velvety, not harsh or acrid. The vanilla isn't as noticeable as I was shooting for, I used about 3 Tbsp so I'm pretty surprised. I used Nielsen Massey vanilla extract so it was pure vanilla.

I know most want just a hint of vanilla and what I have might be more than they would like. Anybody else had luck getting a good noticeable amount of vanilla in this? How much did you use?

I've had two bottles so far, one the base recipe and one from 3 gallons that I added vanilla to. The base is great, smooth and velvety, not harsh or acrid. The vanilla isn't as noticeable as I was shooting for, I used about 3 Tbsp so I'm pretty surprised. I used Nielsen Massey vanilla extract so it was pure vanilla.

I know most want just a hint of vanilla and what I have might be more than they would like. Anybody else had luck getting a good noticeable amount of vanilla in this? How much did you use?

I use 2 vanilla beans chopped and boiled in some water for a subtle vanilla flavor. Thats for 5 gallons. If you sued 2 beans for 3 gallons, it would stand out more, but wouldnt be overpowering. I find the beans is a much better method than any vanilla extracts. They always have extra crap added and may not mix well with the beer

I've brewed 2 batches of this so far - it's a keeper and will become a mainstay in my house. However, I also would like to play around with flavor additions as well. I've already supplemented one batch with cold brewed coffee and a chocolate vodka tincture, but now I'm thinking fruit....

Has anyone added any fruit flavors to this yet? I'm specifically thinking of trying a Chocolate Blueberry Oatmeal Stout. But I'm not sure how to go about it. I've heard blueberry is a fickle ingredient in stouts particularly, as the flavor can get muddled under the depth of the stout.

Can anyone offer pointers, tips, procedures, etc, on how to get the best blueberry flavor into this beer? I originally was going to use the pureed blueberry (pie filling, etc), but now I'm leaning towards extract. Thoughts?

I've brewed 2 batches of this so far - it's a keeper and will become a mainstay in my house. However, I also would like to play around with flavor additions as well. I've already supplemented one batch with cold brewed coffee and a chocolate vodka tincture, but now I'm thinking fruit....

Has anyone added any fruit flavors to this yet? I'm specifically thinking of trying a Chocolate Blueberry Oatmeal Stout. But I'm not sure how to go about it. I've heard blueberry is a fickle ingredient in stouts particularly, as the flavor can get muddled under the depth of the stout.

Can anyone offer pointers, tips, procedures, etc, on how to get the best blueberry flavor into this beer? I originally was going to use the pureed blueberry (pie filling, etc), but now I'm leaning towards extract. Thoughts?

I brewed this twice and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much that I doubled it up and made it into a 9% batch. I didn't stop there. I added strawberries and vanilla extract. Why you ask? Why not? Samples smell and taste delicious.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433555929.381272.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433555951.025165.jpg

Mine might be a little overcarbed, after popping the tops I get a little gush. Not sure why or how, I carved to 1.8 vol of CO2 so unless the priming sugar woke the yeast up and they started chewing through some of the maltose I don't know how this is happening. My FG was high at 1.024.

Did someone use WLP004. There is no 025 at my store. Would the 004 be a good choice?

Thx

I brewed this twice and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much that I doubled it up and made it into a 9% batch. I didn't stop there. I added strawberries and vanilla extract. Why you ask? Why not? Samples smell and taste delicious.

View attachment 282883View attachment 282884

So have you tried this yet? How much fruit did you add (and to what size batch)? Was to too much, not enough, etc?

I have taken a few samples of it since I kegged it. The roast, vanilla and strawberry are present. There is definitely a fight between the strawberry and vanilla. The strawberry is more present in the back end. Tart and dry. It's a really complex brew. I think it is still young to fully understand its flavor. The taste is promising.

I used 5lbs of strawberries for a 6gal batch.

I have 1# of Caramunich III on hand. Could I replace the Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L with Caramunich III?

I have 1# of Caramunich III on hand. Could I replace the Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L with Caramunich III?

Caramunich III would work, but it's more like 60L I believe than 80L so it may be missing a few of those deeper crystal malt flavors like toffee and a hint of raisin. It's more caramel flavored than toffee. It's not a bad sub, it's just not exact.

Hi,

So I think I ordered the wrong grain. :drunk: I ordered Black Malt which is malted. The recipe calls for Black Barley.
I guess this is un-malted, right?

Is roasted barley the same as black barley? My store has only the roasted one.

Thanks!

Hi,

So I think I ordered the wrong grain. :drunk: I ordered Black Malt which is malted. The recipe calls for Black Barley.
I guess this is un-malted, right?

Is roasted barley the same as black barley? My store has only the roasted one.

Thanks!

It's not the same as roasted barley exactly- it's darker. Some have used black malt (patent) with this recipe and said it was really good. It's not a large quantity so you may find it turns out just fine. I like a coffee-ish roast, so there may be some small differences, but nothing too signifcant I would imagine.

Cool, thanks Yooper. I will go with what I have and report back once sampled.

So, I just came across this thread as it popped up as #31 on the top recipes list for these forums.

I've read through every post and plan to brew the recipe as listed in post #1. Right now, my only issue is finding any place where I can buy Briess Black Barley (Stout). I don't really have a LHBS so I'm purchasing everything online. Does anyone know of a place to get this grain? I can't find it on Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, Rebel Brewing, Alternative Beverage, Midwest Supplies, or Texas Brewing.

I've read the various posts discussing alternatives but folks seem to be able to find this somewhere as I've seen a lot of "I brewed this as originally listed" posts.

Can anyone provide a source?

Thanks!

So, I just came across this thread as it popped up as #31 on the top recipes list for these forums.

I've read through every post and plan to brew the recipe as listed in post #1. Right now, my only issue is finding any place where I can buy Briess Black Barley (Stout). I don't really have a LHBS so I'm purchasing everything online. Does anyone know of a place to get this grain? I can't find it on Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, Rebel Brewing, Alternative Beverage, Midwest Supplies, or Texas Brewing.

I've read the various posts discussing alternatives but folks seem to be able to find this somewhere as I've seen a lot of "I brewed this as originally listed" posts.

Thanks!

I personally like using the roasted barley, so it gets coffee/roasted flavors in the stout. Alewerks in Williamsburg years ago used to sell HBS, but now that the craft beer industry is exploding, maybe they don't service homebrewers anymore. Homebrew USA has a store in Hampton, and the manager there is one of the brewers at Brass Cannon in Toano. I bet if you went to the brewery and asked to buy a small amount of black barely, he'd probably give you a dimebag of it.

Going to make this my next brew... only other oatmeal stout I've made had definite astringency, so I'm hoping this time 'round I can avoid that.

I'm assuming that since you used 1.75qt/lb in the mash you reduced your sparge water amount to simply hit normal pre-boil volume? Also will crush affect astringency, do you think?
You can get too much astringency if you overgrind your malt, so that the hulls become ground as well. That will leach out chemicals in the hulls that taste astringent. Also, if you do BIAB, if you press or squeeze the grain to get all the liquid out, you will squeeze out those same astringent chemicals. And by chemicals, I mean chemicals made by mother nature :eek:)

Did my first BIAB with this recipe a couple of weekends ago. 2.5 gallon batch to be split into two 1 gallon test batches to try out some flavor additions. The BIAB went great, although I forgot to adjust my salt additions for the added mash volume, came out with a pH of 5.7 after 30 minutes. Added salts to bring it down for the second half of the mash. Temps were spot on at 154° the entire time by keeping the pot in my oven preheated to 160°.

Anyway, I just split it up and added the following:

#1 - "Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout"
- 1.2 oz (~3 fl.oz.) of PB2 powdered peanut butter mixed with 3 fl.oz. vodka
- 2.4 oz of Reese's cereal
- 1.25 fl.oz. of vanilla bean & cacao nib vodka tincture

#2 - "Chocolate-Covered Blueberry Oatmeal Stout"
- 0.95 lbs Vintner's Harvest blueberry puree
- 1.25 fl.oz. vanilla bean & cacao nib vodka tincture

We'll see how they turn out!!! I've been wanting to do this to this delicious stout for a while, but I don't want to ruin 5 gallons of it if it turns out not so good. I haven't bottled in years, but I just got the old bottles out of the attic this weekend, so hopefully I remember how to do this (kidding....mostly!). The hardest part is waiting for them to get carbed! Kegging has spoiled me.

2015-07-28 17.40.35.jpg

I get mine from Austin Homebrew. It says "Malt" in the title, but I'm fairly sure (based on the description on their site compared to Briess' own description) that it is what we're looking for:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Specialty-Malts/Black-Roasted-Barley-Malt.html

Thanks Matt. This does appear to be an exact match. I will be placing my order shortly, although they don't have Crystal 80, they have 75 and 90. LOL. It seems there is never a perfect match for every ingredient (I understand that the difference here is negligible).

Thanks Matt. This does appear to be an exact match. I will be placing my order shortly, although they don't have Crystal 80, they have 75 and 90. LOL. It seems there is never a perfect match for every ingredient (I understand that the difference here is negligible).

I only got the Black Barley from them (got everything else at the LHBS). Go with the 75L this time, and buy enough extra Black Barley that so next time you can go with someone else since you'll already have it.

I think I ordered like 5lbs of it on my last order from them lol. But now I'm stocked!

You can get too much astringency if you overgrind your malt, so that the hulls become ground as well. That will leach out chemicals in the hulls that taste astringent. Also, if you do BIAB, if you press or squeeze the grain to get all the liquid out, you will squeeze out those same astringent chemicals. And by chemicals, I mean chemicals made by mother nature :eek:)

Disagree with everything here. There are plenty of brewers that grind very fine with no astringency, and pretty much all biabers squeeze their grain bag to do I'll effects. This is something that just doesn't happen. I've done both multiple times, and have never had any astringency issues nor have any of the homebrew club members who have tested it which includes several bjcp judges.

Thanks!

You can also purchase Black Barley off of Amazon. You will just have to crush it when your ready to brew.

You can also purchase Black Barley off of Amazon. You will just have to crush it when your ready to brew.

Yeah but the shipping kills it. And I'm usually an Amazon fanboy. But they don't sell it via Prime, and the shipping stacks regardless of how much you order. So 1 lb is like $7.50, 2lbs is about $14, 3lbs $21 etc. A bit expensive for me. I believe my 5lb order from AHS was about $15.

Edit: Looks like the shipping is now slightly discounted on Amazon for > 1lb. For instance, 5lbs is now about $16.50, which isn't too much different than AHS.

Thanks!

RiteBrew

http://www.ritebrew.com/Articles.asp?ID=256

My local, the grape and granary, in Akron oh, has it. You could probably sub Crisp roasted barley.

Err, nope. Not sure. Neil @ ritebrew is pretty cool though, might be able to order it for you if you ask. His prices are always the lowest IME.

I want to get this from my LHBS so I'd rather not order anything, they don't have the black barley...

Do you think debittered black malt could work as a sub?

Edit:

Oh well I just got roasted barley(500L), I almost got dehusked caraffa III but I figured dark roasted is tried and true and I probably won't mind if it comes out a bit more astringent.

Back