trub sucked into bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaidonjin

Reaction score
I just bottled my canadian style from secondary into bottles. I seem to have a lot of junk floating in the neck of my bottles. This is also the first time I used Muntons Carb tabs alone( I usually use the coopers drops and maybe 1 or 2 carb tabs depending on bottle size) this does not look like the whit flecks you get from th carb tabs. I am wondering what it could be? I don't know if I sucked up some of the trub on the bottom. but, I figured if I did it would settle to the bottom.this has been 4 days, bottles are carbonated. I don't know if I should try shaking them to see if that gets this junk to settle. Any thoughts?

well its been 13 days in bottles, still have stuff floating in bottles, right at the neck. None of my other batches have done this.I am starting to think it is infected.

I'm stymied that you bottled from a secondary and not a bottling bucket (where one normally adds the priming sugar to carbonate beer in the bottle)...:confused::confused::confused:

I don't have a bottling bucket, I have the coopers microbrewery fermenter(which had another beer in it at the time) and my glass carboy.I must have screwed up when I siphoned into bottles. I sanitized everything and thought I did it right.

When the beer was moved from secondary to the bottles you probably got some sedimentation from the vessel (even if you use Irish Moss, whirlpool, gelatin, etc., you'll still probably have some floating around). It'll settle down after being in the bottles for a bit. Try keeping the bottles at lower temperature for a few days and see if that helps. That tends to help things settle down (look at cold crashing in past threads -- there might be more info there on the subject). I wouldn't shake the bottles up though if you want the sediment to fall. It may be chill haze.

Note, Muntons carb tabs are known to leave "floaties" behind after they dissolve. This might be what you're seeing.

It could very well just be sediment that got sucked into your bottles, or from the carb tabs like CHshre said.

what are you using to siphon from primary to secondary? I've got an autosiphon and it has that little cap on it that helps to keep it from sucking up all the yeast at the bottom of the bucket.

So I siphoned from primary with the filter on, and then from secondary to the bottles via a bottle wand with the filter still attached as well. I only had one or two bottles that had a lot of muck get in them and that was near the very very end of my bottling process, so I labeled the caps with an old school Mr. Yuck design.
Mr_yuck.jpg

hopefully that'll keep other people away so I can have them for myself.

Back