MLT design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigvu

Reaction score
So, i'm about to embark on my first AG batch, after 3 successful extract and specialty grain batches of wonderful beer. i don't have a cooler I want to cut up and convert for a MLT, but I was wondering if anyone thought there'd be serious problems with doing a hybrid BIAB, but in a cooler instead of my brewpot (to keep temp consistent). would likely double bag in paint strainer bags, with zip ties to close the open ends. would have to keep the pour back into the brew pot nice and easy to i don't get HSA, but other than that any potential problems with this sort of setup? cooler is a 50 qt cube.

Well, typically the grain bed is acting as your filter and you vorlauf to attempt to get a clean run-off. I'm not sure if pouring off the cooler would allow for this. Why don't you just add a valve and manifold. You can build one yourself pretty cheaply - it may not be the most efficient, but you won't need the strainer bags and could achieve a cleaner run-off. Maybe you're talking about using the built-in cooler valve and I misunderstand. I'm not sure though.

Also, I don't think you need to worry about hot-side aeration too much at this point. You're still going to boil the wort and deplete oxygen, right? You don't want to purposely aerate, but I don't think you need to worry about it too much.

If you have big paint strainer bags and a cooler, that could be used as a MLT as is.. the bags would act as a false bottom/braid to strain the grain. then you could just vorlauf & batch sparge as normal.

I'm glad Craigvu asked this question, because I was wondering the same thing. I ordered AG ingredients for the Cream of Three Crops recipe this week, then remembered I have never done AG and do not have the equipment. Hell of a beer that will make you lose your memory before you even drink it, eh?

My plan was to do as the OP and use a grain bag and a standard cooler. My concern is that the grains would be compressed in the bag and prevent the water from saturating them, and, therefore, hurting efficiency.

So, i'm about to embark on my first AG batch, after 3 successful extract and specialty grain batches of wonderful beer. i don't have a cooler I want to cut up and convert for a MLT,
There's no need to cut up a cooler to convert to an MLT. Unscrew the outlet, and screw in a suitable replacement, then add a false bottom, braid, or manifold. Nothing in the cooler needs cutting, and the cooler can be restored to it's original condition in about 2 minutes.

-a.

Back