Specialty IPA: Belgian IPA Houblon Chouffe aka HopChewy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this beer 2 summers ago and I think I let the temp get to high. It had pretty strong esters and banana flavors. Just bought some of the real beer fresh and its pretty crisp with minimal belgian influences which blend really well with the hops and bitterness. I'm going to control the temp much better next time I brew it. Probably keep it from climbing above 70 degrees.

Hi, we have just done this with my friend. We use 2 packs wyeast 3522 yeast. Two weeks primary fermentation, and then three weeks +2c like recipe say. BUT we "forgot" to add yeast while bottling :/ We use sugar 8grams/liter. Now it is 2 weeks after bottling, and i taste one sample bottle and absolute zero carbon :( Any suggestion ?

I think you're probably going to have to empty all bottles and RE-bottle.

That's an option but there would be too much risk of oxidation and a lot of work to pour all the bottles back into the bottling bucket.

I had a similar problem when I started brewing, I under calculated the priming sugar and had very little gas after two weeks.
I think I forgot to tare the scales when I was weighing the sugar.

Anyway I made a guess of adding something like an extra 1.5 grams per bottle and just dissolved it in boiling water and added a few ml to each bottle with a pipette. Luckily the beer ending up perfectly carbed after about 10 more days.

Using the same method for adding extra yeast would be less complicated because you just need to make sure you have enough liquid to add a few ml to each bottle.

I don't know if you have any original yeast left if you have then just make a small starter and add a few ml to each bottle.

Or else get a pack of dry yeast with high alc tolerance and a lower attenuation than the original yeast, S-33 or T-58 for example, and rehydrate in a few hundred ml, give it a bit of a stir to make sure it's evenly distributed and then add a few ml to each bottle.

I have a bottle opener that barely damages the cap so I could reuse the same cap. Just make sure you properly sanitise everything and do one bottle at a time (open, add yeast, close).

Whatever you decide I hope it works out.

:mug::tank:

Brewed this up last weekend. Still getting a bubble every 5 seconds and I bumped up the temp to 83. OG was 1.076 and as of yesterday at 1.014. Added my dry hops a few days ago. Airlock is smelling great.

This is my favorite Belgian IPA, thanks for the recipe!

Brewing this next weekend and can't wait. Is the Brasserie d’ Achouffe water profile in Bru n water the the water profile to go with? Getting all my stuff together, have the yeast and about to do the starter. Thanks in advance.

Hi everybody. Ive made this recipe for the first time. Its on day seven of cold crash.

Id like to know if someone eventualy made a reduced time cold crash and if noticed any difference in quality by doing this (im thinking about 10 to 14 days instead 21 suggested by Houblon).

Id also like to know if someone clarified with gelatine at cold crash and if noticed any disadvantage doing this procedure.

Tx from brazil. this is one of my favorite beers.

I can't remember how long I cold-conditioned. I will say that I have made it without cold conditioning and it is not as good.

Hi. its 23 days since i made my houblon. it has a decent carbontaion, already. I think theres a pronounced sweetness above the hop bitterness... a certain excessive caramel/sweetness flavor in the final taste. any suggestions to fix this apparent excess ? what could have caused it ? tx

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG-20200607-WA0004.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-20200607-WA0004.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36
Hi everybody. Ive made this recipe for the first time. Its on day seven of cold crash.

Id like to know if someone eventualy made a reduced time cold crash and if noticed any difference in quality by doing this (im thinking about 10 to 14 days instead 21 suggested by Houblon).

Id also like to know if someone clarified with gelatine at cold crash and if noticed any disadvantage doing this procedure.

Tx from brazil. this is one of my favorite beers.

I haven't made this beer but I think of gelatin as "liquid time" -- when added to cold beer it speeds the conditioning time way up.

Hi. its 23 days since i made my houblon. it has a decent carbontaion, already. I think theres a pronounced sweetness above the hop bitterness... a certain excessive caramel/sweetness flavor in the final taste. any suggestions to fix this apparent excess ? what could have caused it ? tx

Did you hit the mash temp?

This is a yearly go-to for me. Just rebrewed and totally changed the hop additions: 2oz cold conditioned amarillo, 2oz keg hop amarillo. Letting it condition in the keg, but it's an amazing base for what is basically now an IPA.

I'm doing this for the first time and wondering if you were to spund this when would you do so. I'm assuming the dry-hop lager stage is supposed to be uncarbonated.

I brewed this recipe today and all went well, but I missed the target gravity by quite a bit. I wasn't too worried about it, but it hit me after I ate dinner. I used 2 cups of sugar, not 2 pounds. So I made a session houblon today. No worries, it's gonna be delicious.

I brewed this recipe today and all went well, but I missed the target gravity by quite a bit. I wasn't too worried about it, but it hit me after I ate dinner. I used 2 cups of sugar, not 2 pounds. So I made a session houblon today. No worries, it's gonna be delicious.

You can always make a sugar syrup with the additional sugar by boiling it for 10 mins in 12oz of water.
Then add it to the fermenter.

Too late for this batch, but a good idea of you catch it in time.

But you only brewed it yesterday?
It's no problem to add sugar to the fermenter at any stage of the fermentation as long as you let it ferment to the end before packaging.
In fact it's common practice for some breweries to wait until near the end of fermentation in these big Belgian beers to give the tired yeast some simple sugars to eat and get them up and going again after they slow down.

That's awesome, I didn't realize I could do that. You rock! Thanks!

Sure, glad I can help.
Just be sure to keep everything sanitary, that's why you need to boil the sugar in water for 10 mins rather than throwing it in there raw.
No need to stir as the yeast will find the sugar wherever it is in the solution.

Back