How much propane would a burner like this use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get 4-5 batches from a propane canister with that burner. It burns for around 2.5-2.75 hours per batch as it heats the sparge water during most of the mash and then runs at a very low setting during the sparge (I fly sparge) so that at the end of sparging the boil kettle is close to boiling and finally maintains a vigorous boil for 60-90 minutes depending on the recipe.

ONE POUND of propane will produce 22k BTUs...

So it isnt really the SIZE of the burner that matters... the larger the burner, the more you have it throttled back. Now if you run a larger burner wide open the entire time, your poor little tank will be dry in no time.

I think that most people see about 4-5 brew sessions out of a single 20lb tank, but have a full spare on hand for pete sake.

This one has a 55,000 BTU burner, so you could run it WIDE OPEN for about 6.5 hours! This is because a 20lb tank holds about 16.8 pounds of actual propane.

If you dig around, your Local Ace usually have a filling service, and you will get a 20 gallon refill. Costs about 16 bucks.

Back