So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a dunkelweizen. First time trying this style. Got the inspiration from the Zymurgy Sept/Oct 2018 article by Amahl Turczyn.

Fermentation was off to a start within 8 hours of pitching the yeast without a starter. Below is the current temperature profile. 10 deg delta in chamber vs beer! This yeast has always been very exothermic for me.

20180923_163018.jpg ferm.JPG

Brewed a real nice IPA that I’m gonna scent with orange peel:

5# 2-row
4# marris otter
1# wheat malt
6oz dingelmans Cara45
10oz carapils

Hops:
Centennial
Amarillo
Citra

Dry hop:
El dorado, mosaic, Citra, Amarillo, and orange peel soaked in vodka

Yeast:
2nd generation wyeast 1056 (this starter was crazy)

Og: 1.061

Fermentation temp: 64 degrees

Brewed a real nice IPA that I’m gonna scent with orange peel:

5# 2-row
4# marris otter
1# wheat malt
6oz dingelmans Cara45
10oz carapils

Hops:
Centennial
Amarillo
Citra

Dry hop:
El dorado, mosaic, Citra, Amarillo, and orange peel soaked in vodka

Yeast:
2nd generation wyeast 1056 (this starter was crazy)

Og: 1.061

Fermentation temp: 64 degrees
Also just kegged a beautiful Hefeweizen using safale-W06. Gonna brew a cream ale soon. I have heard kolsch yeast is the way to go, does anyone have other suggestions? Also how do we feel about flaked corn?

Last weekend I brewed Rauchweizen (2.5kg Pilsner malt, 0.5kg Steinbach Oak smoked malt, 3kg wheat malt, 30 grams Lubelski - Polish low AA hop, dry weizen yeast).
The yeast went out the fermenter after about 15 hours of fermentation, thank God I used a blow-off tube :D From the FFT jar there is a delicious smoked aroma <3

This weekend I am going to try my hand at making 1 gallon of lime "Hard Water" based on a thread on here. If it passes my ladies' taste test, maybe I'll make a full 5 gallons. But after my first shot at a NEIPA which will likely be next weekend.

This weekend I am going to try my hand at making 1 gallon of lime "Hard Water" based on a thread on here. If it passes my ladies' taste test, maybe I'll make a full 5 gallons. But after my first shot at a NEIPA which will likely be next weekend.
Was that the one with the corn syrup?

Going to go for a hemp ale/ipa style thats dry like a brut ipa.
Thinking about Munich and Vienna as specialty malts and amirrillo or cascade for hop additions and some hemp added at the end of boil for hemmpy taste.
Flagship yeast by imperial, been using it on the last few brews and really liking it.

Was thinking of brewing my Black IPA this weekend, then thought maybe I'd do a late Marzen but then I read the Brut IPA thread on here and kind of want to try one of those. I've only ever tasted one so I'm pretty intrigued.

Why wait for the weekend?

Another marzen tonight. Glycol busy taking batch down to pitch temps now.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I'm gonna modify a Black IPA kit to make it a NEIPA...add some oats, some wheat, and adjust and add to the hops bill. "Black and Juicy"... wish me luck! Cheers!

Just run this out on beersmith, 1st draft on tomorrow's brew: 10+ gallon all grain(kegged volume.)

10 pilsner
5 pale 2 row
2.5 munich
2.5 rye malt
2.5 flaked rice
2 rice hulls

2 oz us goldings pellet FW
1 oz willamante pellet 60 min boil
1 oz " " 30
1 ox leaf ammerillo post whirlpool 15 min

est 6.5 ABV, 39 IBU.

Anyway, just a draft, perhaps this will look awful to me in the morning. ;)

Note: Grain and hop selections based on what is on hand, not so much any style.

I'd ask what style you'd call it, but that would kind of be asking for it....haha

Currently boiling up a RIS, 90 min boil

Maris O
C-80
C-120
Brown malt
Biscuit
Roasted Barley
Black Patent
Black Prinz

Bit of Magnum and something called German Tradition early in the boil

Third beer brewed in the last 3 weeks.

Just pitched two packs of Safale-04 into my NEIPA 4.0. The white whale of the perfect brew day continues to elude me... Used 10.25 gallons of mash & sparge water with a goal of 7.25 gallons to boil (and 6 gallons into the fermenter), but somehow ended up with 8.5 gallons in the kettle! WTF! Decided to extend the boil to 80 minutes (using pilsner as base, so figured it might be good idea anyway) to at least get to 7.5 gallons. Just missed my OG of 1.069 (got 1.065), so all is looking good. Put 6.5 gallons into the fermenter. Changing up my schedule to focus on low oxygen brewing: going to dry hop on day 2 and not open the fermenter again; will bottle straight to bombers on day 14, using carbonation tablets in the bottle so I can avoid the bottling bucket. Hoping to hit FG of 1.019 and 6.5% ABV.

Braggot day! Well, just the beer part of it anyway. OG: 1.101 before the honey ;) Going to add the honey in spurts so as to not overwhelm the yeast.

Brewed an all-centennial APA/IPA this weekend, using my homegrown hops alongside pellets. Will dry hop with Mosaic Lupuln2.

My lady is going out of town so I am going to brew the dark Saison recipe from Zymurgy from a couple months ago. I was going to do a double brew day just because but now I am not sure I want to spend the entire day brewing. Maybe I will do the 5 gallon dark saison batch and then do an extract Lambic recipe or something so it is not a full double brewday as far as grain milling, etc.

Planning to brew a batch of my best recipe the 95 IIPA but kinda tempted to experiment flavoring it with orange peel. Just not sure how much to add onto a 90+IBU IIPA.

Also got the two batches in the primaries to bottle while mashing.

I was going to brew my Marzen two weeks ago but s@#t happens. But I'm for sure brewing it this Saturday.View attachment 590138

Same, I was going to make 10 gallons in July and lager till October. Just brewed it Friday night. One of those kegs doesn't have a chance of lagering. Kegerator is empty!

Brewing a pumpkin ale today. After brewing for years on my stove top with no problems, today the overhead vent fan decides to start dripping grease into my strike water as it heats up. Fortunately it all floated to the top and I was able to scoop most of it out with a spoon, and I'm hoping that pulling the bag out at the end of the mash will take more grease out with it, but I've given up the idea of having any head retention on this beer.
I also ended up using a smack pack dated June 15th, and have seen very little activity in my starter. I've got a packet of US-05 on hand just in case that ends up being a dud.

I'm brewing my first IPA today, in the general style of Bell's Two Hearted but with Dr Rudi plus Cascade hops instead of Centennial. Just finished grinding all the malt. I've brewed stronger beers before (by adding a little sugar), but never one with this much malt or this much hops, and never done dry hops.

Brewing a pumpkin ale today. After brewing for years on my stove top with no problems, today the overhead vent fan decides to start dripping grease into my strike water as it heats up. Fortunately it all floated to the top and I was able to scoop most of it out with a spoon, and I'm hoping that pulling the bag out at the end of the mash will take more grease out with it, but I've given up the idea of having any head retention on this beer.
I also ended up using a smack pack dated June 15th, and have seen very little activity in my starter. I've got a packet of US-05 on hand just in case that ends up being a dud.

I'd use that US-05 anyway.

Planning an ambitious day for tomorrow. Will get up at 4am to brew a Centennial SMaSH Lager a'la Two Hearted but fermented on 34/70 that's been doing well. While that's going will keg up the American Strong I brewed two weeks ago that's been crashing for the last two days, when I'm all done will have to finish the painting project we started today that was brought to a screaming (literally, like a little girl) halt by the hornets' nest we found in the backyard. Bought 10 feet of new hose today to replace the one I melted last brewday as well.

I'm brewing my first IPA today, in the general style of Bell's Two Hearted but with Dr Rudi plus Cascade hops instead of Centennial. Just finished grinding all the malt. I've brewed stronger beers before (by adding a little sugar), but never one with this much malt or this much hops, and never done dry hops.
Good luck, or hope it went well.

BTW, did you know your local KTTC weather guy Ted Schmidt is a homebrewer?

Back