Need some direction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerBastard

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been researching and I am getting ready to start gathering equipment. I went to one of those ubrew places yesterday and made up a batch. It was pretty simple really. A few things:

1). I don't want to use malt extract because I think that is cheating. Anyone have a link to more reading for me on how to make this stuff?

2). I want a high rolling wort chiller. I want to pump from my boiler to the primary through a filter then the chiller and have it come out 60 degrees lickity split. ( pretty impressive piece of equiment ). anyone have a link?

3). I also want to force carbonate. I'm interested in a link for this as well, but it is a ways down the road for me.

Thanks for any help! :mug:

1). I don't want to use malt extract because I think that is cheating. Anyone have a link to more reading for me on how to make this stuff?

So, do you pick your own chocolate and milk your cow to make hot chocolate?

Extract is only concentrated wort made the old fashoined way...

Using a UBrew place raises your cost per bottle astronomically.

By the time you make 1-2 batches you could have purchased your own equipment making it a sunk non-recurring cost...(OK, you'll have to replace it EVENTUALLY, but most of my gear os over 14 years old...). ;)

I never planned on using the ubrew place for more than the educational experience. I walked away with some good schooling too. glad I did it.

I have nothing against using extract and didn't mean to offend anyone that does. I guess what I should have asked is: How is that extract made? I would like to try making it myself.

There is no reason to make extract yourself. All extract is concentrated all grain wort that is canned or dried. If you want to learn how to do all grain, that is fine. In this case, you won't have the syrup, just the wort that comes strait from the grains. +1 on reading the Palmer link above.

+100 on "How to Brew" by John Palmer. Before you even brew your first "homebrew" I would highly recommend that you read this book. It helps you understand everything you need to know about malt extracts and will walk you step by step in converting eventually to all-grain brewing. Like the others said, no need to make this extract yourself. The maltsters out there are pros at what they do and give you a very good base for your homebrew. Good luck!

1). I don't want to use malt extract because I think that is cheating.

Cheating?

You've never made a batch in your life and already you are an expert in what's cheating or not???

You do realize that more brewers brew with extract than do all grain don't you...and since most contests don't discriminate between all grain and extract beers, just about as many extract beer win awards (beating out all grain) as do the other way around...

Many people make great beers with extract...it's not the materials that make a beer good it's the brewer...

There's nothing wrong with extract...I brew some recipes all grain, and some recipe with extract...some recipes taste just as great or better with extract, than doing all grain so therefore it's not worth spending a 6 hour brew session doing it as allgrain...

There are plenty reason to choose one method over another, it's your choice...but really there's nothing "cheating" about brewing with extract..

In fact it's less harder to f up an extract batch when you are starting out than it is to f up an all grain, there are less variables involved, less paths to screw up...so it's often a good route to work on your brewing process on a few nearly f-up free extract kits than to jump to something with a lot of variables.

Please don't start off your new hobby with an elitist one way is better than another attitude, especially if you know very little about even how to do it.......because in reality it's just not the case....There are many paths and they all have the potential to make grat or crappy beer...

Read this...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Why_cant_we_all_get_along/

:mug:

Extract is like contracting out some of your labor. Nothing is really wrong with it. You will have less control over the final product, it will save time, and it will cost more money.

All grain gives complete control over the base malts and their fermitablity. It costs more up front but over time will save money. The biggest draw back is the extra time needed.

Sometimes I would like to just through a extract batch together but for now I have more time than money.

Cheating?

You've never made a batch in your life and already you are an expert in what's cheating or not???

You do realize that more brewers brew with extract than do all grain don't you...and since most contests don't discriminate between all grain and extract beers, just about as many extract beer win awards (beating out all grain) as do the other way around...

Many people make great beers with extract...it's not the materials that make a beer good it's the brewer...

There's nothing wrong with extract...I brew some recipes all grain, and some recipe with extract...some recipes taste just as great or better with extract, than doing all grain so therefore it's not worth spending a 6 hour brew session doing it as allgrain...

There are plenty reason to choose one method over another, it's your choice...but really there's nothing "cheating" about brewing with extract..

In fact it's less harder to f up an extract batch when you are starting out than it is to f up an all grain, there are less variables involved, less paths to screw up...so it's often a good route to work on your brewing process on a few nearly f-up free extract kits than to jump to something with a lot of variables.

Please don't start off your new hobby with an elitist one way is better than another attitude, especially if you know very little about even how to do it.......because in reality it's just not the case....There are many paths and they all have the potential to make grat or crappy beer...

Read this...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Why_cant_we_all_get_along/

:mug:

Jesus Christ! I didn't mean to come off as elitist. It is just my opinion that if you use extract you are still sucking the tit. Big whoppie don't be anal.

I want to make beer the old school way. Christ if I wanted to save time and money I'd just go buy beer at the store... ah duh.

Also, I couldn't careless about beer brewing contests. I'm sure most of the people that go to them are homos.

I don't give a rip if I get kicked off this forum. I'll surely get to where I'm going without homebrewtalk.com

Have a nice day :)

Jesus Christ! I didn't mean to come off as elitist. It is just my opinion that if you use extract you are still sucking the tit. Big whoppie don't be anal.

I want to make beer the old school way. Christ if I wanted to save time and money I'd just go buy beer at the store... ah duh.

Also, I couldn't careless about beer brewing contests. I'm sure most of the people that go to them are homos.

I don't give a rip if I get kicked off this forum. I'll surely get to where I'm going without homebrewtalk.com

You are welcome to stay and participate on the forum. However, I'm fairly certain that people that go to contests aren't "homos" and people (including professional brewers) who use malt extract aren't "sucking the tit". Perhaps you'd like to speak to some brewpub owners and tell them your opinion of their use of extract, or to talk to some gay brewers about being "homos". Good thing you didn't mean to come off as elitist!

Relax, have a beer, and stop namecalling.

All of you!

Wow... nice.

IB4TL

welcome to HBT :mug:

I guess I gotta call my mom and tell her the bad news, I'm a homo!
Tomorrow, I'm going to buy new shoes and get a haircut.:cross:

I believe the context here went way out of line. I don't believe the OP was trying to offend any extract brewers, but was simply saying he wanted to go full monty. I agree with him in a way. There is nothing wrong with extract brewers, in my opinion, but there is a certain satisfaction you get brewing all grain that isn't there with extracts. Its like making a soup with fresh made stock instead of canned chicken broth. I got some hop rhizomes in the mail to get as close as I can to being 100% my own beer. Hell, if I had the land and ability to malt my own barley, I would grow my that too! Just my 2c. :mug:

I believe the context here went way out of line. I don't believe the OP was trying to offend any extract brewers, but was simply saying he wanted to go full monty. I agree with him in a way. There is nothing wrong with extract brewers, in my opinion, but there is a certain satisfaction you get brewing all grain that isn't there with extracts. Its like making a soup with fresh made stock instead of canned chicken broth. I got some hop rhizomes in the mail to get as close as I can to being 100% my own beer. Hell, if I had the land and ability to malt my own barley, I would grow my that too! Just my 2c. :mug:

I understand what he was TRYING to say, but he sure did a hell of a bad job doing it. He did have the opportunity to set things straight in a positive way, but he really went overboard in his reply to Reevy.

Too bad for him because in the short week or so that I have been here I have learned so much.

It's funny with people like him...they would never say any of that to your face but they sure have a great time doing it behind a keyboard.

It's funny with people like him...they would never say any of that to your face but they sure have a great time doing it behind a keyboard.

You are quite wrong about that. I don't have a great time doing it behind a keyboard. When you are face to face with someone, body language, expressions and such help express what you are trying to communicate.

I would also say what I think. No problems there.

In my second post I tried to clarify that I wasn't trashing anyone. I ranted after some anal retent took a shot. I couldn't care less how others brew. I know what I am shooting for. I am going full monty like the other poster said.

I like how some go off have cocked with the noob crap. I have years of experience bottling. I also have distillery experience. Making beer isn't **** compared to whiskey.

You are quite wrong about that. I don't have a great time doing it behind a keyboard. When you are face to face with someone, body language, expressions and such help express what you are trying to communicate.

I would also say what I think. No problems there.

In my second post I tried to clarify that I wasn't trashing anyone. I ranted after some anal retent took a shot. I couldn't care less how others brew. I know what I am shooting for. I am going full monty like the other poster said.

I like how some go off have cocked with the noob crap. I have years of experience bottling. I also have distillery experience. Making beer isn't **** compared to whiskey.

Really??? Then why are you asking? If you don't care, then...don't read any books, don't read any tutorials on this site, and just start brewing beer. I mean, hell, you've already brewed once with someone holding your hand so you're an expert right? </rant>

Seriously though, if you want some help it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of consideration for others. That way they'll be more apt to help you, both now and in the future. +1 to Palmer's How to Brew...great resource and will give you all you need to know to brew beer, or at least be dangerous. Nothing wrong with going all grain first, just be aware that there are several steps that must be followed closely if you want to have a decent beer to drink at the end. As far as the equipment goes, building a counterflow chiller is a fun DIY project or you can always buy one. You start a siphon, or pump your finished wort out the boil kettle and it flows through the chiller on it's way to the fermenting vessel. Good luck...

Ok, we'll close this thread and start over.

Please remember the forum rules- no personal attacks. No name calling.

This forum is a community of brewers, and being part of a community means following these rules.

Edit- And I don't appreciate being ignored the first time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back