Saison Citra Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewDetroitBrewing

NewDetroitBrewing
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3711 French Saison
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days - 72 F
Tasting Notes
Fresh citrus nose, spicy citrus flavor, light amber color, and watery mouth feel.
Citra Saison

Ingredients:

Grain

8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Belgian (2.0 SRM) 72.70 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) 18.20 %
0.75 lb Wheat Malt, German (2.0 SRM) 6.80 %
0.25 lb Acid Malt, German (3.0 SRM) 2.30 %
---
11.00 lb Total Grain Weight

Hops:

3.00 oz Saaz [3.00 %] (60 min) 30.8 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [3.00 %] (15 min) 5.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] (0 min)

1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] (dry hop) 7 days
---
Total IBU: 35.9 IBU

Miscellaneous:

0.50 Whirlfloc (15 min)
0.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient (15 min)
0.50 oz Crushed Coriander (0 min)
0.50 tsp Crushed Grains of Paradise (0 min)
0.25 oz Orange Zest (0 min)

Mash Profile:

Total Grain Weight - 11.0 lbs
Mash - 152.0 deg F/60 minutes
Sparge - 168.0 deg F/10 minutes
Boil - 90 minutes

Fermentation:

Pitch Wyeast 3711 French Saison at 70-80 deg F. Ferment 28 days. Dry hop last 7 days.

Notes:

Originally inspired by the Mad Fermentationist's Hoppy French Saison. We use Citra hops at flameout and for dry hopping. We added coriander, grains of paradise, and fresh orange zest to increase the spicy citrus flavor. And we added a small amount of acidulated malt for mouth-watering drinkability.

Options:
Use Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison for the primary fermentation and add White Labs WLP650 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis in a secondary for a Citra Saison Brett.

So, dumb question. You mention splitting a 10 at some point, but this recipe is a 5, right?

/Will always still be figuring it out/

Did you do a starter with the Wyeast 3711 French Saison, or just give it a smack?

/Will always still be figuring it out/

We've simplified the hop schedule. As originally posted, the recipe called for a small amount of Saaz as a first wort hop (we had homegrown hops at the time) and a small amount of Columbus for bittering (we were a little short on IBUs).

The main post has been updated to show the new hop schedule.

We're brewing this updated recipe this weekend.

I will be doing something similar to this over the weekend, but will be adding some orange blossom honey to it and am using magnum hops for bittering along with the Martin House brewing house strain of saison yeast which runs about 90% attenuation. I may mash at a lower temp to let it dry out more and let the honey be the sweetness. Still deciding. I think I have 1 lb of wheat in mine, but otherwise similar grain bill.

After reading more about honey after putting this together, I should have added it after flameout or during fermentation. So far it is going well and I pitched the yeast at 67° and let it rise to about 80° and it has been around that temperature range since. I turned on my fermentation chamber to drop the temp to about 77 or 78 since it went off the carboy thermometer range for a little while. Right now it looks like it will get kegged right before I head to Finland for 3.5 weeks so it should be ready to go when I get back.

Going to brew a modified version of this in a few weeks. Changes made: percentages to get a lower ABV (5.4%), hops/schedule for higher IBU's (40) and 5.5 gallons instead of the original 5. Not using any spices and going with all Citra.

Edit: After typing this I realize how much has changed, so I'll post results and the modified recipe if it's any good :p Thanks for sharing!

I really liked this beer. The Martin house Saison yeast I used took it super dry (attenuates around 90%) and it had a lot of yeast character and the fruitiness from the citra hops. I was half way through with the keg this weekend when my friend shut the lid on my party tap and the other half of the keg leaked into my cooler. Will consider brewing this one again, but have a few other things planned since I now have a temperature control chamber. It is quite tasty.

ride in circles,

Glad you enjoyed the recipe with your modifications. Sorry to hear you lost half of your keg. Thank you for sharing your changes.

This turned out great, everyone seems to love it. Probably the best beer I've ever brewed. Thanks to 3711 being a beast, it knocked it down so far that I hit 7% ABV. Not what I was aiming for, but kept it above 80 degrees the entire time which probably helped.

It's dry and refreshing and thanks to being all Citra, it has those beautiful fruit notes that blend well with the yeast character.

Thanks for the recipe, this one rocks.

Going to brew a modified version of this in a few weeks. Changes made: percentages to get a lower ABV (5.4%), hops/schedule for higher IBU's (40) and 5.5 gallons instead of the original 5. Not using any spices and going with all Citra.

Edit: After typing this I realize how much has changed, so I'll post results and the modified recipe if it's any good :p Thanks for sharing!

Just wondering what changes you ended up with as far as changing up the hops schedule?

Citra Saison
Notes:

Originally inspired by the Mad Fermentationist's Hoppy French Saison. We use Citra hops at flameout and for dry hopping. We added coriander, grains of paradise, and fresh orange zest to increase the spicy citrus flavor. And we added a small amount of acidulated malt for mouth-watering drinkability.

Just a question on the spice additions. Your recipe calls for adding them at 0 minutes. Did you leave them in for primary or did you remove them after cooling and before racking to your fermentor?

Just wondering what changes you ended up with as far as changing up the hops schedule?

I ended up going with .75oz 12.5% Citra at 60, .5oz at 20, and .75oz at flame out. Then dryhopped with 1oz for a few days.

When I brew this again I'll probably increase 60min and dryhop additions to make it more IPA-like, otherwise it was fantastic.

Thanks Ian. I'm probably going to give this recipe a try this spring so it will be ready for summer consumption! :mug:

Brewing my 2nd attempt of this today. Going with all citra on the hops with 1.5 oz at 60 and .5 oz at 5 on a 10 gallon batch. Using Martin House yeast and added orange peel, coriander and a little pepper at 5 left. I will be kegging 5 for home consumption and the other 5 is going to Burning Man.

Will probably do a 2 stage citra dry hop. Shooting for a 67 start and letting it rise after it starts.

When I racked this over to the carboys, the first half ended up with all the protein and stuff in it, where the second half was all the top of the boil kettle. For some reason the bottom half is still super cloudy, but the top half is almost totally clear. I will check the gravity to make sure it came out okay, but aside from that it just looks odd since they are both the same beer. It looks like I will be taking all of it to Burning Man though.

Back