opinions on these kegs please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
spkguitar, your link has kegs for $98, while the OP has 2 kegs for $164.99, or just $82.50 each

One has flat rate shipping of $7.95, the other quoted me $24.99 for ground, don't forget shipping :)

I remember reading about the BF kegs and finding out that they are fairly thin metal and not as durable. IIRC, I also remember people having some issues with the diptube length. At the minimal difference in cost I would personally opt to pay an additional $16 per keg to get the italian KC kegs.

Look for ones that stack with the connections on- not really important to you now but if you are buying brand new SS corny kegs you gotta believe that you may have a need to stack them in an upright at some point or another. Just a thought.

If you're looking to buy new, I think you should look at these: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=134

Not as *shiny*, but much, much less expensive, even with shipping.

This. The reviews I could find about those bev connection ones arent great. a lot say the dip tube is too short and you end up wating 20-24 oz of product when the keg blows. I've also heard they are very thin walled and get dinged/damaged easily.

+1 to kegs like the one in the above link. if your buying new that's the way to go. however I would strongly urge you to look at reconditioned ones. you can get em for 40-60 bucks per keg, and the function exactly like new ones. Plus they'll be in the keezer or kegerator so people wont even see them.

my 2 cents.

+1 to buying reconditioned kegs.

Its way cheaper and just as effective. Your new kegs are going to get beat up soon enough anyways. Put your saved money into something else that will actually make your beer better or something shiny that people will actually see.

i currently have one reconditoned and one new chinese. i kinda wanted to add just one more, but figured a total of 4 would have me totally covered. (i wanna make a RIS this april for next fall/winter)
the recinditoned one requires a lil keg lube on the oring to seal. with the lube it seals 100% but kinda annoys me.
i'll mull this one over for a bit
i'm aware i'll be the only one who really sees em, but i'd rather have nicer ones just for my enjoyment, if you know what i mean?

We get it and its all good if you decide to buy new. It makes more sence if your going to store your RIS in one. At least it will be out somewhere where you can see it and apprecite its shinyness! At some point even your new kegs will need the lube to make a tight seal. You could make that RIS sooner if you wanted to. I made one last fall that is still getting better and its been about 18 months since pitch.

We get it and its all good if you decide to buy new. It makes more sence if your going to store your RIS in one. At least it will be out somewhere where you can see it and apprecite its shinyness! At some point even your new kegs will need the lube to make a tight seal. You could make that RIS sooner if you wanted to. I made one last fall that is still getting better and its been about 18 months since pitch.

the RIS recipe i was looking at was on this forum and it seemed that it's ready to drink and it a good place at at about 6-7 months

I have one kegco keg. It sucks! All the reviews are right. You waste beer, walls are very thin, and you can't stack them. I now use it for pushing pbw or sanitizer to clean other soda kegs.

the RIS recipe i was looking at was on this forum and it seemed that it's ready to drink and it a good place at at about 6-7 months

Awesome! Mine was not from this forum (it was from NB) and while I belive it had a 6 month time frame on the recipe it keeps getting better all the time. I crack one about every 2 weeks or so. It makes an awesome black/tan too. Funny thing looking at your sig... I have an Oaked Arrogant Bastard clone carbing right now and was just looking at that cascades/orange pale recipe last night!

Good luck with your kegs! :mug:

im the type that can listen to reason.
as pretty as those shiny chinese ones are (theyre a very nice keg asthetically) i am convinced.
i'll pick up an italian keg or two

For 5 gal kegs I just use reconditioned ball locks. I do have a 2.5 gal and a 3 gal new Italian keg same as in the kegconnection link. These are great and there really isn't much of a used market in this size and the few used ones are like $80 anyway. My baby keezer only fits 2x 5 gal ones, then a 2.5-3 gal on the hump. I like to have 1/2 batches of stronger beers or experimentals anyway, and if I wanted to, this size is very portable to take to a party.

Back