Wash Yeast with Bottled Spring Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delvec28

Reaction score
I want to harvest the yeast from my next batch into 3-4 mason jars to use for upcoming batches.

I've successfully accomplished this using pre-boiled and cooled water to loosen the yeast cake from the bottom of the carboy.

However, I wanted to know if you can simply add a gallon of bottled spring water in lieu of boiling and cooling.

Anyone have experience washing yeast this way?

I almost forgot about this thread... came back to it and was surprised that there has not been a reply. Somebody has to have tried this, right?

If not, I just may in the next month or two :drunk:

delvec28 said:
I almost forgot about this thread... came back to it and was surprised that there has not been a reply. Somebody has to have tried this, right?

If not, I just may in the next month or two :drunk:

I've used bottled spring water to top off when I was brewing extract. I do not see how it would be different. Maybe just buy purified drinking water. I am going to try this myself. I hate adding unnecessary steps and for a buck, I'll gladly skip boiling any water.

I've used bottled spring water to top off when I was brewing extract. I do not see how it would be different. Maybe just buy purified drinking water. I am going to try this myself. I hate adding unnecessary steps and for a buck, I'll gladly skip boiling any water.

Exactly my thoughts, but I couldn't find anyone confirm this after searching this forum and others!

My issue is me and two buddies brew together, so all our stuff is at another house. Each time I go there, I never have pre-boiled water prepared, and I rarely want to spend another hour to boil/cool it off.

I haven't re-used as much yeast as I would like, so I'm trying to figure out a way to speed up the process.

I have not done it but have read where others have. I think the water just has to be sterile. Is bottled water sterile?

I have not done it but have read where others have. I think the water just has to be sterile. Is bottled water sterile?

I don't know if it's 'sterile' however you can use it to top off extract batches, so it doesn't infect the beer.

After I sat down to think about it, I remember coming across something where it said you drive out oxygen when you boil, and that helps the yeast stay inactive while they are in your fridge for weeks/months.

However I would think in a pinch if you know you will be brewing in 1-2 weeks, bottled water would suffice.

Back