a little help with my setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhltechie

Reaction score
hi all,

as I wait on my single tier to be put together I was going to order some of the parts i needed from bargain fittings. I just wanted some input on things I may be getting wrong or leaving out. I basically want the setup similar to what bobbyM has in his you tube. So i will need a bulkhead on all vessels, 2 on the MLT. ball valves on the vessels and the output of the pump. I want to go with the camlock QD. so I will need those plus the QD fitting for the vessels and the pump. This is what I have so far:

4 x Keg weldless bulkhead kit (he is out of the SS 3 peice valves i want)
- Valve No valve
- Hose barb No barb

1 x 1/2" NPT SS 2 piece ball valve (for the pump output)

4 x 1/2" NPT Street 90 elbow (i want an elbow on the end of each portion of silicone that connects to a vessel)

6 x 1/2" SS Camlock F style fitting Quick Disconnect (needed for obvious reasons)

10 x Silicone Tubing 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD (is this going to be enough?)

4 x 1/2" SS Camlock B Style Quick Disconnect (yeah, as i said, i wanna go with the camlock QD)

2 x 1/2" NPT Coupling (these are for the in/out of the march pump)

so what am i missing? I believe i am missing dip tubes, but i'm not sure how I want to go with that in combo with some sort of false bottom. I know I want to go plate chiller also...but i'm not sure of that setup either. trying to work through all of that in my head. Any comments would be appreciated.

TIA,

M

Sight glasses are almost a necessity to track your volumes.

I disagree on this. IMO, a sight glass is nowhere near a necessity. I don't want or need a sight glass. Volume measurements are extremely easy to do without one and I see no reason to go to the trouble and expense to install one. OTOH, those that use them seem to love them, but that's how it goes with most home brew equipment, so it mostly comes down to personal preference I guess.

nah....i had intended on putting a sight glass on at least my HLT. I was still undecided about the BK.

I guess the old graduated stick works alright if all your vessels are identical.

No graduated dip stick for me either. I simply use an aluminum yardstick or a tape measure. I have an inches to gallons conversion factor for each of my two kettles. The conversion factors are easy to remember and easy to use. With the cooler HLT I simply fill it either half way for 6 gallon batches or all the way to the top for 12 gallon batches. I do agree that a sight tube would be a necessity on any system larger than what we home brewers are typically using. Sight tubes do add to the bling appeal though, and that is sometimes an important consideration. The two common accessories that I do not use are the sight tubes and the bi-metal dial type thermometers. I never miss either.

No graduated dip stick for me either. I simply use an aluminum yardstick or a tape measure. I have an inches to gallons conversion factor for each of my two kettles. The conversion factors are easy to remember and easy to use. With the cooler HLT I simply fill it either half way for 6 gallon batches or all the way to the top for 12 gallon batches. I do agree that a sight tube would be a necessity on any system larger than what we home brewers are typically using. Sight tubes do add to the bling appeal though, and that is sometimes an important consideration. The two common accessories that I do not use are the sight tubes and the bi-metal dial type thermometers. I never miss either.

Well you can use a pitcher to transfer, and heat your kettle with lump charcoal, but it's the sum of all the little niceties that cut time and effort off your brew day, making it a more pleasant experience. Tracking volumes with a dipstick may be relatively easy, but it won't be as easy as the .02 seconds it takes to glance at the sight glass.

Well you can use a pitcher to transfer, and heat your kettle with lump charcoal, but it's the sum of all the little niceties that cut time and effort off your brew day, making it a more pleasant experience. Tracking volumes with a dipstick may be relatively easy, but it won't be as easy as the .02 seconds it takes to glance at the sight glass.

IMO, it is if you factor in the cleaning and maintenance of the stupid sight tubes, not to mention the initial added cost. Volume measurements have never been much of a hurdle for me and the time savings would be negligible. My brew days are quite relaxing and pleasant as it is. Most of the time I spend watching, waiting and drinking. It's not a frantic and white knuckled operation at all. I can't help it if I'm lucky.

Latest posts

Back