stainless braid V.S. false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isac777

Reaction score
Am looking at making my mash tun with a 15 gallon ss pot (i.e. the $59 jobee). I am looking forward to making many rye, hefs, and standard ales. Should I consider a bargain fitting SS braided hoses on the dump valve or just nut up and go with SS false bottom? Any experience with the hose, stories would be great, but think I am going with the false bottom. :rockin:

I use a Bazooka tube-- but I also batch sparge. If you are fly sparging -- I would definitely go False Bottom. In short: If you are batch sparging, it literally doesn't matter what you use as long as it will filter out the grains. If you are fly sparging, you want to distribute the suction from the gravity feed/pump as much as possible. For this reason, False bottoms are best because they distribute the suction across the entire bottom of your vessel.

In Short:

If you are batch sparging: You'll get the same results regardless
If you are fly sparging (or plan to soon): Go False Bottom, it's the best and most efficient way to fly sparge.

I use a Bazooka tube-- but I also batch sparge. If you are fly sparging -- I would definitely go False Bottom. In short: If you are batch sparging, it literally doesn't matter what you use as long as it will filter out the grains. If you are fly sparging, you want to distribute the suction from the gravity feed/pump as much as possible. For this reason, False bottoms are best because they distribute the suction across the entire bottom of your vessel.

In Short:

If you are batch sparging: You'll get the same results regardless
If you are fly sparging (or plan to soon): Go False Bottom, it's the best and most efficient way to fly sparge.

Pretty well put. I batch spare and dont plan on fly sparging anytime soon so I use a SS braid. I might move to a manifold but not right away but basically either will work if you batch sparge but SS braids are proven and cheap.

I fly sparge in my 12 gallon batches.

At first I had two bazooka tees, but that got stuck way too much. Went with a full diameter false bottom for my keggle and never looked back. Still can get some stuck mashes that I have to mix up and recirc, but overall very happy with the set up.

Best,

ps. sorry I did not notice this was a zombie thread, I'm kinda new here.

Go with the false bottom, my braid ended up kinking after a few uses and it ended up being the cause of a stuck sparge.

I acually have used a bazooka screen in my rubbermaid cooler and never had a stuck sparge. But then I batch sparge. Seems like the braided ss is more flexible under pressure than the screen. Unless I'm wrong.... please forgive a noob!!

Back