found beer kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-bone

Reaction score
I found part of a beer kit in my friends basement today.
It's all in one can.

Contents: 1.65kg (3.63lbs) of Brewing Wort - Barley and Malt and Hop Extract

The extensive directions are lost..only the abridged directions on the back of the can remain. I was hoping someone could help me fill in the gaps???!! (I know its not going to make the best beer ever, but a free can of wort is hard for me to turn down)

The can says to: Mix the can contents with boiling water and sugar.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add to cold water and add brewers yeast

I know how to take care of the rest of the process

So my main question is how much sugar and water do I combine with the can of pre-made wort?
My guess is to mix it with 1.5 gallons of water (The can says it makes 17 litres of finished beer which is around 4.5 gallons) And then put it into a 5 gallon fermenter with the appropriate amount of cool water to make a 5 gallon batch
But I have no idea how much sugar to add to the canned wort. Also I'm not sure what kind of sugar would be best to add to this canned wort.

Any suggestions out there??
I truly appreciate it
Thanks
J-bone:mug:

Sounds like this is probably a hopped can of extract, and it can be combined with more extract, either dry or liquid, to increase alcohol and body. Five total pounds of extract is about the low end of what you need. If you have no access to more supplies, mix it with 2lbs of good honey and hot water, then dilute to 4 gallons. Otherwise grab one more can of extract(unhopped), and an ounce of finishing hops. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 lb of crystal malt to steep as well. Due to the hop shotage I was forced to buy a true brew pale ale kit two days ago, in order to get a 1oz bag a cascade hops. The brew was as follows: 6oz crushed crystal malt heated to 160 deg, then steeped for 20 min. One can hopped light extract and two lbs dry light extract added as heat is returned to wort. Once boil is rolling, I added 1/2oz cascade(0-40min). At four minutes out(36-40min) I added the other half ounce of cascade, plus irish moss, which is a clarifying agent. At minute 40, when the flame was extinguished, I added 1/4oz of honey. To give it some zing I pitched it on a Belgian yeast cake I had. The point is you can manipulate that can in many ways to achieve your desired taste.

Great feedback...
Thanks so much
I really appreciate it
J-bone
:rockin:

Back