Larger stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bregiz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have my first ever batch down, I went for a kit larger (due to the cold weather here) with enhanced dextrose for added sugar.

starting PA was about 5% but after 2 weeks bubbling was slowing to a crawl and the PA was only down to about 2% and has been sitting there for at least 3 days.

Yesterday I racked off of the sediment because I was worried that sitting on the dead yeast might produce off flavours, and that soem aeration might kick things back up to life, but now 12 hours later there is 0 bubbling going on. I think I may have made the wrong decision.

Any advice on what may have gone wrong, and any action I should take to save the batch?

As a bonus, the wort tasted great when I was syphoning it :)

PA = Potential alcohol

corresponding SG's are approx:

OG: 1.040
FG: 1.015

And when I say FG i mean that is where it has stopped.

I'd be surprised if you could get your gravity any lower at this point. Did your kit come with an expected FG?
Also, based on your OG and FG numbers, I'm getting an ABV of 3.28%, not 2...
Lastly, what was the temp of the wort when you took both readings.

are you telling me that I am stuck with a "light" beer :(

The expected FG for the kit is 1.008, But I used enhanced dextrose kit for sugar (dextrose mised with dried malt extract I understand?) and a 3rd party quality lager yeast. The temperature of the wart (or at least a bucket of water beside the wart) was around 14 Degrees C, Durring fermentation the temperature got as high as 16 degrees, and I am not sure how low it would have gone at night.

To clarify, I was saying that the current potential alcohol was at around 2% (SG 1.015), which would give me a current ABV of around 3% (5% - 2%) just like you said :)

If you used an enhanced dextrose additive I would expect a higher OG more in the range of 1.045

If you lagered around 55F Degrees for a period of time you can bring the temps up to Ale Fermentation temps and it may kick off again. Enough fermentation has taken place so you should not get any off flavors. Then lager it down to about 40F degrees for a couple of weeks

If your beer tastes good, drink it. It might not have the ABV you expected, but its good cold beer.

Latest posts

Back