Bottling 1 gallon of beer/change water volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
I am ready to bottle my MO/Simcoe smash. I made a test batch of 1 gallon.

The calculators say .9 oz of sugar for carbonation. Do I still use a pint of water to dissolve sugar or less water? If less water, what is the ratio?

Thanks.

That's a good point never brought up. For 2.5 gallon batches I still use the full 2 cups of water.

You really could just make a basic simple syrup. Terrapinchef on here used to recommend for sugar additions in beer using the smallest about ow water possible. He suggest that you put the sugar in the pan and before turning on the heat slowly adding just enough water to moisten the granules, and then adding one tablespoon more of water.

I usually reduce my priming sugar water proportionally. Or, relatively proportionally. For 3 gallon batches I use a cup, for 1 gallon I use about 1/2 cup. Just tying to avoid diluting the final beer too much, haven't ever done the math to see if it makes a big difference.

Good points! and question.
A pint of water to a single gallon would change things a lot. I think a half cup of water would be more than enough for an ounce of sugar.

Good points! and question.
A pint of water to a single gallon would change things a lot. I think a half cup of water would be more than enough for an ounce of sugar.

Notnonly is a half a cup a good choice but it usually gets me a 6er of 16oz bottles on the button...I've use a cup before though too with no ill effects

Thanks for everyone's input. If you are interested for the future, I recalculated the carbonation for the lowest amount for a pale ale and it came out to .8 oz.

I dissolved it in 1/4 cup of water. Ended up with 7 beers. 8 if you count the one a drank while bottling. MO/simcoe has real potential.

4 days in no bottle bombs. Can up date carb in another 10 days if interested.

Back