Keeping Wort Warm while fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherBrewer

Reaction score
Hello my fellow brewers, I was wondering if anyone had any suggesting for keeping wort (ale) warm during fermentation in carboys and fermenting buckets ( I have both)... I was considering placing them in a tub with a aquarium heater.

Any help with would be grateful, i have 3 ferm buckets and 2 carboys.

On deck :
Banana Bread Ale
Red Irish Ale
Cherry Wheat
Creamy Citrus/Ginger Belgian Ale
Cherry Chocolate Stout

Ferm wrap and a love controller.
I got a dual stage so I can cool too. Just brewed a saison that is coming along awesome.

what temp is your house? i would think house ambient temps would be ok if its away from exterior walls and windows and if there isnt much of a swing in temps!!

You still have not told us what your temperature is to provide any further guidance and the yeasts you are using???

Hello my fellow brewers, I was wondering if anyone had any suggesting for keeping wort (ale) warm during fermentation in carboys and fermenting buckets ( I have both)... I was considering placing them in a tub with a aquarium heater.

Any help with would be grateful, i have 3 ferm buckets and 2 carboys.

You just answered your own question. That setup is cheap, and works great. Stick a floating thermometer in the water too so you have an idea what temp it's at.

But the real question is still unanswered. What is your current temp? Most homebrewers need to cool their fermenting beer as opposed to heating it. Also keep in mind that during active fermentation temps inside the fermenter can be as much as 5-8 degrees higher than ambient. So if your kitchen is 70F your beer may actually be fermenting at 78F and that is way too warm for most beer.

I like fermwraps, but I use the DIY version from reptilebasics.com - costs about $11 for basically the same thing as the commercial $30 version - hook it up to a ranco or a johnson controller and you're set - I use my BCS to control the temps.

bruin_ale said:
?? An article by Jamil about the price of craft beer ? How is that supposed to keep his fermentation warm?

The wrong link got posted, sorry it was up posed to be a link for a brew belt :drunk:

Are you brewing a Belgian? Otherwise you are probably too hot for everything else. At 68-69 ambient the beer may be fermenting in the mid 70's. You probably need a cooling set-up if anything.

I have a Belgian going right now. I also fixed the problem. I found a cooler room in my house I can you and it's pretty consistent. You all GREAT ! Thank you for the advice and tips.

Back