what to do with extra crushed grains???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaquery

Reaction score
hey all,
brewing a belgian dubbel right now, but had to order an extra 1/4 lb of crushed chocolate malt due to the company's packaging. not anticipating being able to use it in a brew in the standard 2-3 month window of usefulness. therefore wondering if anyone out there knows of other things that can be done with unspent grains. ideas please? thanks!

I typically buy in bulk so I always have leftover grains, but if your trying to utilize them somehow without saving them or using them in a batch find a neighbor with chickens and give em to them

I bought a FoodSaver and I just seal 'em up and throw 'em into the freezer. Never noticed any problems, and I have definitely had some "identical" tasting brews that were from different batches of crushed grains....

Yea, I would just get ingredients for a brown ale and just buy 1/4 lb less chocolate malt than you need. That crushed grain will keep in the fridge for a few weeks. Squeeze in a brew somewhere! Maybe do a quickie extract batch?

We take all our "left overs" and stick them in bags and put them in the freezer. I would make a list of what stuff you have left over or you will forget what is in there. ;)

hey all,
brewing a belgian dubbel right now, but had to order an extra 1/4 lb of crushed chocolate malt due to the company's packaging. not anticipating being able to use it in a brew in the standard 2-3 month window of usefulness. therefore wondering if anyone out there knows of other things that can be done with unspent grains. ideas please? thanks!

The freezer makes sense, but let me get this straight - are you being deployed? Having major surgery? I'm trying to figure how you can be so sure you won't brew a brown, a stout, a porter, another dubbel, or anything else with chocolate for 2-3 months.
None of my business, but are you okay, man? You're among friends Xac - what's wrong?

Back