Gelatin Finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine say 1 TBS per 225ml water (almost 1 c) of water. Warm until dissolved then add to secondary.

Many directions say to add it prior to bottling, but I like to add mine to the carboy as this makes your brew look like a lava lamp.

Leave it in there about 2-3 days, rack to a bottling bucket and bottle as usual.

By adding to the secondary do you risk removing so much yeast that you have a hard time getting the bottles to prime? I would like to use this with an upcomming creame ale as I have not had a great deal of luck with Irish Moss. I do not have the equipment to keg so it will have to finish in the bottle.

desmo said:
By adding to the secondary do you risk removing so much yeast that you have a hard time getting the bottles to prime? ...

Not at all. I add gelatine every time to the secondary. I boil ~ 1/2 cup of water, allow it to cool down to warm; then disolve the packet of Knox gelatine.
I then pour the gelatine/water mix into the secondary prior to racking. I generally leave it in the secondary 1-2 weeks.

Back