left grains in for the boil... whay now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbblaine

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of pumpkin beer yesterday and I accidentally skipped the steeping step for the chocolate malt and crystal 20L. So instead, those were just in the wort during the whole boil. So I'm wondering what effect that will have on the beer when it finishes fermenting?

Can't skip the steeping step. Leaving the grains in during the boil can cause astringency from tannins that are extracted.

Key point here: don't do it again.

But, you'll just have to wait to see how it effects the beer. It may not be too bad.

The main concern will definitely be the tannins. It could turn out very astringent and leave a dry, mouth puckering taste to the beer. You don't want those grains above 170, let alone boiling. See how it tastes, but prepare to count this one as a loss, sorry :/

It was 0.25lb chocolate malt, and 1lb Crystal Malt 20L.

I'm still getting used to brewing so I just completely forgot the steeping step :(

Thanks for the input, everybody. I will post an update when it's finished just to complete the thread here and let people know if it turned out to be undrinkable, bad, or OK.

I transferred to secondary 10/31 and when I did, I took a sample to taste. It didn't taste nearly as bitter as I thought it would. Not bad but not great either. Then again it was only 10 days old at that point and still could use some more spices added.

I will test it again in a few more days and will probably bottle condition it at that point (if it's not too terrible) then let it age a little longer.

I followed a recipe back in the 1970's that called for boiling the grains. It wasn't spectacular because I would have remembered that, but it wasn't bad either I would have remembered that as well. My friends and I drank the whole batch, and nobody complained.

-a.

Back