Spokeo.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
Brewers and Brewerettes...

I received an interesting message today about a website named www.spokeo.com. This website has apparently collected and gleaned a bunch of information on just about anyone. I value my privacy, and removed the information they had on me.

If you'd like to do the same thing, here's how: go to the Spokeo website, and enter your name. Your information will come up. Now, right-click the URL and go to the "Privacy" tab at the bottom of the page. Right-click and copy the URL into the space provided, and include your email address. Then, simply follow the instructions to remove all of your information, and maintain your privacy.

glenn514:mug:

Keep in mind, Spokeo is just an agregator (search engine) that has collected a lot of publically available information into one website.

From their "about" page

"Spokeo aggregates data from hundreds of online and offline sources, including but not limited to: phone directories, social networks, marketing surveys, mailing lists, government censuses, real estate listings, and business websites. All of the data aggregated is publicly available, and accessible by anyone from those respective sources."

Asking to have your information removed from their website, does nothing to remove it from the places that they initially obtained the information from. There have been companies like that that have been collecting information for many years. The difference is that often they are more accurate and expensive. When I worked in the credit card industry, some people in our collections department used similar services to track down deadbeats.

In this day and age of publically accessible information, there is really no way to become transparent.

KurtB...I understand, but I can still dislike such search engines gathering, storing and sharing my personal information. If I can delete it, I will so do.

glenn514:mug:

Back