setting up a temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
What is an exceptable range to set up for a temp controller?
What I mean is, I have a sparkeling new Johnson A-419 on the way and I'm going to use a spare fridge to ferm and then lager a Maibock. Since it takes a lot of time to change the temp in 5 gallons and I'm shooting for 48-58 degrees for the ferm, what should the TC be set at so the fridge isn't constantly kicking on and off? From 48 to 53 is what I was thinking. Assuming the wort will actually be a couple degrees warmer.
Does this sound about right?

Your set point should be 53* (I just picked the middle of 48*-54*) with your differential at 1* (this means an acceptable temperature to the controller will be 52*-54*). Set your ASD to 12 (minutes). This means that your fridge can't cycle any faster than every 12 minutes-this helps to prevent your fridge from burning out. If your wort is warmer than 54* then the fridge will cycle "on" continuously until the temperature is in the acceptable range. Then it will only cycle when you get over 54*.

Your set point should be 53* (I just picked the middle of 48*-54*) with your differential at 1* (this means an acceptable temperature to the controller will be 52*-54*). Set your ASD to 12 (minutes). This means that your fridge can't cycle any faster than every 12 minutes-this helps to prevent your fridge from burning out. If your wort is warmer than 54* then the fridge will cycle "on" continuously until the temperature is in the acceptable range. Then it will only cycle when you get over 54*.

So once the temp gets above 54* (55* or 54.1*?) the fridge will run as long as it needs to until the temp is below the (setpoint or setpoint-differential?)
Then once it kicks off, it can't come back on for 12 minutes to protect the compressor?

Is this an accurate summation?

Also, where do I put the probe? just anywhere in the fridge? Tape it to the bucket/carboy? Does that even help?

You got it!

I tape the probe to the outside of the carboy/bucket and cover the probe with a square piece of insulation. There is a lot of discussion as to whether a thermowell or taping the probe to the outside is better.
Good luck and don't worry if you have to tweek some of the settings to get things perfect for YOUR system.

Latest posts

Back