temp controller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
Johnson temp controllers on ebay 20 to 30 bucks. new, still in packeage. Is this cheap? Most of the ones on there are not digital so I assume they are older maybe....

Also, When wiring one in I figured I'd make it in line to a short extension cord so that I don't have to cut the cord for the freezer. Is that the best way? does it hurt the freezer to have the power go on and off like that?

Or is there another way to wire into the thermostat on the freezer or something......

You didn't post the link so I'm not exactly sure what you are looking at. If it is the Johnson analog controller # A19AAT-2. It comes with a a dual plug. You plug the male plug in the wall and then plug the controlled device into the female side of the dual plug. No electrical wiring needed. Then simply drop the sensing bulb inside the refrig or freezer and set the temp with the dial.

It will not hurt a freezer. Set the freezer control to MAX. then control the compressor with the Johnson. The freezer doesn't know the difference.

Oh and yes $30 is a good price.

Make sure that it comes with a probe. Mine didn't unbeknownst to me, and I ordered one that was the wrong resistance. Long story short, it's a beast to get the proper temperature on it.

Back