forced carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just hook it up to the keg at serving pressure and leave it alone for 5 days or so.

You CAN put 30 psi on it and shake it to get it done quicker, but why bother?

Connect it at serving temperature & pressure for a week or so. Otherwise, when you chill it, the carbonation will be too low.

You also have to remember to keep a green bandana wrapped around the keg's mid-section (they are modest) and read to it at night if you can (they are sensitive).

I do that method but i have some concerns.

I hit it with 25ish PSI for about a week. SHaking everyday too. But my beers never have the brilliance I want. THey have a great head, but not many bubbles coming up from the beer. Not like when I bottle conditioned.

Something Im doing wrong?

Chimone said:
I do that method but i have some concerns.

I hit it with 25ish PSI for about a week. SHaking everyday too. But my beers never have the brilliance I want. THey have a great head, but not many bubbles coming up from the beer. Not like when I bottle conditioned.

Something Im doing wrong?

same problem here.

that sounds like you've overcarbed the beer, and all the co2 is breaking out of solution when you pour.

honestly, i feel the best way to force carbonate is to leave it at your desired volumes of co2, and leave it. if you try to shake it, you won't know how much co2 has dissolved into the beer, and you will be drinking it green anyway, which to me is a waste of beer.

if you really want to carb it quickly and to the proper volumes of co2, you need a diffusion stone. it is what i use to carb my sodas quickly, as they are from concentrates and don't need any aging, and for oxygenating my wort with industrial oxygen. i'll use it to force carb a beer if i need to, particularly if i am trying to do it at room temp, but i prefer to just set it and leave it for a couple weeks.

if your beer is pouring wrong, and you did the shake at high psi method, you need to get a 'gas bleeder valve'

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_272&products_id=10397

let your beer stabilize at your serving temp, don't hook up any gas for a day or so. after a day, put this on a QD, and hook it up to the keg. find out what pressure is in the head space. if the beer has equalized, you should be able to know how many volumes of co2 are in the beer. if it is too high, you need to start bleeding off excess pressure from the keg.

Back