sabco kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a keggle. I remember the seeing a link to the sabco site with either pre cut , drilled kegs for $100. Now I can only find them for $214 or something like that. I couldn't tell if that was a new keg, or a used one. Am I blind, or is it just not a very good deal anymore?

I just emailed Rick at Sabco this morning, they are completely out of used kegs. They were selling for around $130 last month, but they're gone and last I heard they weren't optimistic about getting more in anytime soon. Same issue I'm running into.

jerly said:
I've been thinking about getting a keggle. I remember the seeing a link to the sabco site with either pre cut , drilled kegs for $100. Now I can only find them for $214 or something like that. I couldn't tell if that was a new keg, or a used one. Am I blind, or is it just not a very good deal anymore?

As the_bird said, SABCO are out of the old used keggles and are only selling the new ones right now. The price of the new ones is not an especially good deal compared to the prices for new ones they had in early September. They've gone through two price increases since I almost bought one that first week of September. At that time they were a good deal.

However, compare their current price with a high-quality 15 gallon traditional kettle like a Polarware, and it compares favorably. Then again, the Polarware is also overpriced, and it is not the best height/diameter ratio for a boil kettle.

You might want to take a hard look at the B3 14 gallon kettle. Much better deal than the SABCO keggle for the money, IMO. $150 and it already has a valve on it. The SABCO "performance kettle" is $220 with fittings welded on, but figure another $25 or $30 for the ball valve and a plug for the sight tube / thermometer fitting. More if you actually want a sight tube or thermometer.

I do believe SABCO has priced themselves out of the market for all but vanity buyers.

I'm still getting a sense of keg pricing, but when I see Sabco selling 1/2 inch stainless ball values for $40 - when morebeer has them for $15 - well, I start wondering about their prices generally.

Back