Best commercial beer bottles for homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I get my bottles these days from a favorite Chicago pub that stocks a large array of international beers, so I bring home a case or two of interesting bottles - Duvel, Orval, Hoegaarden are some unusually shaped which I like. Also, Chang is great, because it is heavier glass and is sloped or rounded, without shoulders.

A little bit off topic, but with a butterfly capper and the standard crown caps from the LHBS, can you recap twist off bottles? I tried on a bottle I had on hand at school and it didn't work, but that was a Woodchuck twister. I just assumed the twist-off caps didn't work with the sized caps we can buy. If twistoffs can be used, do they carb up appropriately or is there any kind of issue in the twisting action?

+1 for Sierra Nevada bottles. Nice shape, labels come off easy, no markings.

I think the most important thing is having bottle uniformity. I have half Sierra Nevada, a quarter Hoegaarden, and the rest Widmer/Sam Adams(yuck). Going to try to get all Sierra nevada.

A little bit off topic, but with a butterfly capper and the standard crown caps from the LHBS, can you recap twist off bottles? I tried on a bottle I had on hand at school and it didn't work, but that was a Woodchuck twister. I just assumed the twist-off caps didn't work with the sized caps we can buy. If twistoffs can be used, do they carb up appropriately or is there any kind of issue in the twisting action?

I have always heard that you can not use twist off bottles.

I have to vote for Odells bottles being my favorite bottle. The labels float off in Oxy in a few minutes and I really like the design of the bottle with the hops leaves around the bend. Only problem is they are not available everywhere.

Without a bench capper, twist off bottles are a pain. They leak, they break, just not worth it.

I've found costco beer bottles to be the best and now I don't save any other bottles. Just a case of costco beer now and then to replenish the bottles I give away to friends or send to comps and that's all I do. The labels float right off with a soak and don't leave glue behind and they're completely plain bottles so they're good for comps.

The Samuel Smith's bottles are dark and very heavy. And just to be a tad different, they are 18 ozs. The lip is thicker than a standard bottle so it can take a few caps to get the gang of getting a good seal. But they de-label easily and hold slightly more than a pint!

Guinness, as others have said, nice shape and easy label.

An easy trick for the widget (plastic thingy) is to bend the end of a coat hanger or wire into a small hook (I use a piece of 12 gauge copper), and stick the wire in and catch the widget from the backside - even easier if you turn it upside down.... Give it a yank and pop it out.

Does anybody maintain HBT's Bottles wiki page? There's a really handy table there with characteristics of specific bottles.

I had a few different beers last night that could be added:

Brand: Dogfish Head
Cap: Crown
Color: Amber
Height: ?
Volume: 12 oz.
Weight: 200 grams
Delabeling: ?
Notes: None

Brand: Deschutes
Cap: Crown
Color: Amber
Height: ?
Volume: 12 oz.
Weight: 230 grams
Delabeling: ?
Notes: Marked with hop leaf design

There should be a note added to Budweiser American Ale that it is marked with an A-B logo.

I will have to disagree with the New Belgium Bottles. I actually like the bottle, but it is the only bottle that I can not get a ring to show up on. I can actually twist mine a bit after they are capped. Now I have only noticed a few times seeming to be low carb'd, but I would just rather be sure it is sealed by seeing the little round ring on top of the cap.

Samuel Smith. These bottles are workhorses. They are very thick and have a unique look if you create your own labels and slap them on. The glass is also relatively dark compared to most brands out there. They cap very nicely with one of the red emily cappers. In my experience Anchor bottles look cool, but do not cap very well unless you have a bench capper.

I am new to homebrewing.. to the point i have yet to even bottle my first batch... its that time of year and my hard cider is just about finished. but i have been stock piling SAM ADAMS bottles. and my method thus far is let soak 30 min. remove label with a potatoe peeler that i use for only this. peeler takes 98% of all label and adhesive with it. kitchen scrubby pad takes the last 2% . i fit 3 cases in my dishwasher with soap as pre wash and 1/4 star san as primary wash. bottles came out looking brand new with no visual defects. i test bottled a six pack with soda to see how they held up and no problems. ill continue to use sam adams bottles till i run into any issue with them.

is there an easy way to determine if the bottle cap is tightly secured? i am using 2 type of bottles belgium style 22 and 12 oz. I noticed after capping the 22 oz bottles, the capper leaves a ring on the top of the cap but on the 12oz it does not.

my recent batch (OG 1.085), i opened one of the 12 oz bottles and it came out flat. BTW i used (1st time) fuzzy drops per instruction. I am wondering where the problem is...

any feedback / tips greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Visuals:

beer_cap.jpg

Last edited:
is there an easy way to determine if the bottle cap is tightly secured? i am using 2 type of bottles belgium style 22 and 12 oz. I noticed after capping the 22 oz bottles, the capper leaves a ring on the top of the cap but on the 12oz it does not.

my recent batch (OG 1.085), i opened one of the 12 oz bottles and it came out flat. BTW i used (1st time) fuzzy drops per instruction. I am wondering where the problem is...

any feedback / tips greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Visuals:

Pretty sure it's all about the neck of the bottle. Some bottles (such as Sam Adams, Sweetwater and most other traditional "long necks") have a long "bump" at the top of them, which is ideal for a wing capper.

Some bottles have a medium "bump" on them which seem to work okay for me. (Such as New Belgium's bottles)

I've stopped trying to use Lagunitas bottles. Sierra Nevada bottles aren't much better. If you have one handy, look at the neck on it. The part that the wing capper "grabs" is very short and doesn't let the bell push down very hard.

If you look at the bottles you're trying to cap, I'd be willing to bet that the bombers with the big dimple in them have a long "bump" at the top and the ones with without an indentation have a shorter "bump".

Here's a pic (not mine) to demonstrate:
40d8cc47.jpg

The bottle on the right is the best kind of neck for a wing capper.

Pretty sure it's all about the neck of the bottle. Some bottles (such as Sam Adams, Sweetwater and most other traditional "long necks") have a long "bump" at the top of them, which is ideal for a wing capper.

Some bottles have a medium "bump" on them which seem to work okay for me. (Such as New Belgium's bottles)

I've stopped trying to use Lagunitas bottles. Sierra Nevada bottles aren't much better. If you have one handy, look at the neck on it. The part that the wing capper "grabs" is very short and doesn't let the bell push down very hard.

If you look at the bottles you're trying to cap, I'd be willing to bet that the bombers with the big dimple in them have a long "bump" at the top and the ones with without an indentation have a shorter "bump".

Here's a pic (not mine) to demonstrate:
40d8cc47.jpg

The bottle on the right is the best kind of neck for a wing capper.

you may be right.. I just hope my entire batch is not ruined.. i only have 2 bottles, for testing, onto this 12 oz bottles.. the rest is in 22 oz (long bump)... i am going to give it another week or so b/c high OG.. I am wondering if the Fizz drops are the issue. i always used corn sugar mix, this time i used FD b/c i had them...

see picture...

beer_neck.jpg

Last edited:
Though not widely available, I find New Glarus bottles to work great. They seem like they are a heavier (thicker) glass likely because they brew several sours and use the same bottles.

Surprised no one else has mentioned my favorite bottles - Green Flash. I love the unique shape, the glass seems to be nice and heavy, and the labels fall off within an hour or so in a hot water and oxyclean soak. And best of all, some of my favorite commercial brews come inside of these bottles!!!

Spotted Cow is awesome! I never really looked at the neck on the bottles but thanks for the pix, now I'm going to check them before I bottle up. I recently acquired several Grolsch bottles with the ceramic caps, rubber gasket and wire cages (really good deal, too!) and I have just put up a batch of Brown Ale using 16 of these, if they don't work I won't lose the whole batch. Many people have used (and reused) them with great success. If it works for me, I'm going back for more, sure is easier than capping all those bottles. I initially washed, rather I soaked them in OxyClean overnight using the clothes washer. I could fill the washer and add my soap until it reaches its High water setting, then stop the machine and add the bottles. After an overnight soak, I removed the bottles and gave them a rinse using the jet bottle washer is given in the laundry sink nearby. Then I could drain the washer by closing the lid and turning the dial to the end of the cycle. After rinsing, I put the bottles in the dishwasher for heated scrub and heat dry. This seems to sanitize the bottles, I've done it with the previous batch and so far there is no sign of contamination. The wire cages with caps were removed from the Grolsch bottles because they hung below the dishwasher rack and interfered with the water sprayer underneath, besides, I don't think the rubber gaskets would hold up very well in the heat sanitizing. After allowing the bottles to cool, I would let the cages, caps, and gasket assemblies soak in Star San solution while I was filling the bottles. We'll see how this batch turns out in another week or two.

Boulevard anything. (Most people enjoy their Wheat, Tank 7, or 80-Acre) they have stubby 12 oz. bottles. Label comes off in water within about 2 minutes. They are stout, dark, sturdy and I've dropped tons and still no breaks, my favorite by far.

-K

Although mentioned, Green Flash's bottles are a couple of grams heavier than ones from Sam Adams and such.

Boulevard anything. (Most people enjoy their Wheat, Tank 7, or 80-Acre) they have stubby 12 oz. bottles. Label comes off in water within about 2 minutes. They are stout, dark, sturdy and I've dropped tons and still no breaks, my favorite by far.

-K

+1

Those 12oz Boulevard Tank 7 bottles are strong and cool as hell.

1_120701134_3.jpg

+1

Those 12oz Boulevard Tank 7 bottles are strong and cool as hell.

Those do look nice. Since I cannot get them here Anchor bottles are still my favorite 12 ounce bottles. Bass/Guinness are a second because I don't mind loosing them when I give beer away.

Stocking up on German 500ml bottles (like Salvator <photo copyright ciceronito Maxwell> or the more squat Bamberg style <Photo copyright Marcus Cyrone>. (Actually, I only have one of the Bamberg style which I brought back home with me from Germany.)

Last edited:
I didn't see if people differentiated between Guinness Extra and Guinness Draught (11.2oz, no widget) but the Draught ones are a cool shape and delabel with the swipe of a paring knife or razor blade.

My favorite are Guinness Draught bottles. Just cut off label with a pocket knife and rinse out.

I've also been using the big Anchor Christmas ale bottles. They are 1.5 liters or 50 ounces.

I've also had good luck with SA bottles, less so with some of the 11.2 oz German imports (hard to cap).

My favorite for wheats and stouts is the 22oz Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Ale bottle. Label comes off with an overnight soak and there's no embossing, plus it's right solid. Helps that the beer is good and not expensive.

The heaviest bottles I've found so far are from Samuel Smith, but I can't really afford to buy those in bulk so am slowly building the collection...

My favourite small bottles are standard finnish bottles, they are stubby, 12 ounce and have the good "mushroom" top for best grip when capping.
III_olutpullo.jpg

other than that i prefer .5 liter flip top bottles for my "quick drinking" beers, easier on the filling and saves caps.

the german bottles have the annoying "straight" top instead of the more rounded, it seems the capper can't grip it well.

I just cleaned a bunch of British beer bottles and I'm impressed by how stout (ha!) they are. The Samuel Smith bottles are beasts, and the Fuller's bottles are heavy too. Raised glass be damned. :D

I second/third/27th Sierra Nevada. It's a nice looking bottle. Soaking one in the sink while I fix dinner.

For local DC stuff, Port City has the easiest bottles to delabel. No embossing, paper falls off after a short soak, and the glue comes off with two swipes of a green scrubby pad. I can clean em faster than I can drink em.

Back