Kegging Life Cycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
Hey, is it just me or does kegging beer go through a difinite life cycle??? It seems to me that when I first keg and carbonate my batch that first pint is usually good, but after it conditions in the keg under pressure for a couple weeks it gets a lot better....better balance of flavor, smoother bitterness, better head retention. But then after 3-4 weeks (if it lasts that long) it starts to get tired.....a little flatter, less aroma.

Is it just me? Do you think it has something to do with more space in the keg? Or is it just the way it is?

Gilbey

I agree that it gets much better in the keg as time goes on. But mine continues to improve for several months. I've a couple of batches that were decent a couple of weeks after kegging. Two months later and both batches were a heck of lot better. I keep the gas on the keg for the entire duration of its life, but other than that, it just sits there until its gone.

Back