Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do not want 10 of these, trust me. One is enough

Agreed. 1 is more than enough

On a separate note... My wife made Hank some spent grain dog treats and he is a huge fan. I may or may not have tried one. And they may or may not taste pretty good

Got these floofy doofs last year at the local shelter. Adopting two puppies at once... don't do that. I wouldn't trade them for anything now tough.

IMG_20161220_133250.jpg

Rescued these two just in the past year, before that ours was a cat-only household (one of 'em's even in the background here).

Meet Casey and Harper (and Bailey in the back!).

Life has changed.

20170618_152759749_iOS.jpg

No sleep for me. Two pups are on downers and one on a double dose of benadryl...still only the unmedicated dog is not barking in every direction from the fireworks....and it is not dark yet.

I never really enjoyed the 4th after I was about 12 (worked it after 18 until 35 as it is high income day bartending at Country Clubs). Have dreaded it since my first rescue with a boom boom anxiety.

No sleep for me. Two pups are on downers and one on a double dose of benadryl...still only the unmedicated dog is not barking in every direction from the fireworks....and it is not dark yet.

I never really enjoyed the 4th after I was about 12 (worked it after 18 until 35 as it is high income day bartending at Country Clubs). Have dreaded it since my first rescue with a boom boom anxiety.

I've given up to 6 benadryls to my 70 lb Australian Shepherd and he still barks like crazy.

I found out that if I put the TV on the Smooth Jazz channel, and that I crank it to the max, it drowns out the fireworks and he doesn't bark.

Worth a shot.

MC

the Howdy does not like the fireworks one bit. especially the mortars and bombs they're setting off in the next court. they did them Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights, but not last night, which was weird... maybe they blew their wads over the weekend, didn't have anything for the actual 4th.

anyways, last night was a little more quiet than the other nights, so the Howdy wasn't as jumpy. we also gave him a beefy bone (one of those fake butcher bones stuffed with fake peanut butter and fake cheese) and he was so focused on that, plus we turned up the volume on the TV, so he didn't notice the loud sounds outside

he got a little nervous at bedtime (10pm) but not as bad as the previous nights. noises stopped soon after and he settled down, but some jackhole started it up again after midnight

Yeah, we're struggling a little bit with it with one of our guys... Harper, who's still not even a year old, couldn't care less about thunder, fireworks, or what have you. Casey, who's somewhere around 4, is absolutely terrified. Hell, drop something that makes a noise, and he jumps and runs... He escaped his crate twice last week and managed to break or chip both his canine teeth (he's not being crated during the day anymore). Last night wasn't too bad, until I took them out to do their business before bedtime - someone lit something off way in the distance, and just that sound was enough to put poor Casey's tail between his legs...

Just got some very tough news about my bud... It's cancer, inoperable and he's 14... Days maybe weeks left. Not dealing very well at the moment. Sorry to be a downer. View attachment 407298

Goodnight all

I remember getting a terminal diagnosis for one of our family dogs a few years ago. It broke me for a little while. My heart goes out to you.

Just got some very tough news about my bud... It's cancer, inoperable and he's 14... Days maybe weeks left. Not dealing very well at the moment. Sorry to be a downer. l
So sorry to hear this Matt. Please know that we are here with you and for you as you and your family go through this.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we loose them.
My eyes also appear to get damp when my friends are loosing their pet too.

We lost our 16 year old chocolate, Guinness, in November. It sucks. No two ways about it. Still miss her but it does get better. I drink more Guinness now...

Thank you all for the well wishes. Words aren't my strong suit right now.. So just.. Thank you.

So sorry ... lost one of my dogs many years ago to cancer so I understand some of what you are feeling. We had 12 great years together, including marriage and first child, and I still think of him often, now mostly remembering the good stories of our adventures (and misadventures) together.

Just got some very tough news about my bud... It's cancer, inoperable and he's 14... Days maybe weeks left. Not dealing very well at the moment. Sorry to be a downer. View attachment 407298

Goodnight all

Sorry to hear. The worst part about dogs is they leave us. How amazing is it that they give us so much when they're with us? Amazing friends. What is your bud's name?

Thank you all for the well wishes. Words aren't my strong suit right now.. So just.. Thank you.

So sorry for what you're going through... We've been there with a few of our cats in the past, and I can only imagine how much worse it can be with dogs. They seem to bond so much more closely (and quickly!).

View attachment 409239 My Strider Bud passed away this morning. He's buried in the woods, where he most loved to be. Thank you all for your well wishes and support. He was a good dog and a gentle soul. He will be forever missed.

So sorry for your loss. We lost our 9 year old English bulldog, McLovin, this past week (also cancer). He loved to sniff the wild strawberries in our back yard!

It's tough losing a buddy but I am sure you had 14 great years and lots of happiness together!!

Attachments

• IMG_3774[4274].JPG
    IMG_3774[4274].JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 59
So sorry for your loss. We lost our 9 year old English bulldog, McLovin, this past week (also cancer). He loved to sniff the wild strawberries in our back yard!

It's tough losing a buddy but I am sure you had 14 great years and lots of happiness together!!

I will add McLovin and your family to our thoughts and our toasts. They don't need to live as long as we do because they don't need as much time to learn how to love unconditionally. I miss my bud, as I'm sure you miss yours. Cheers to McLovin and Strider.

I will add McLovin and your family to our thoughts and our toasts. They don't need to live as long as we do because they don't need as much time to learn how to love unconditionally. I miss my bud, as I'm sure you miss yours. Cheers to McLovin and Strider.

I like that sentiment, and agree 100!

Sitting on the deck smoking a nice cigar in honor of our buddies!

Took Saaz to the vet today and got an unexpected surprise that really got me fired up. She was having tummy problems so they took an X-Ray and found that some POS has shot her with bb's! This is unrelated to her issue and we suspect that this happened before we adopted her a few years ago. She is the sweetest girl you'll ever meet. people suck!

IMG_4201.JPG

Took Saaz to the vet today and got an unexpected surprise that really got me fired up. She was having tummy problems so they took an X-Ray and found that some POS has shot her with bb's! This is unrelated to her issue and we suspect that this happened before we adopted her a few years ago. She is the sweetest girl you'll ever meet. people suck!

We adopted a little house rabbit a long time ago that had bb's under his skin. Yes, people do indeed suck at times!

A really good friend of my wife just took her lab in a few weeks ago cuz he could stand. Turns out that before she had adopted him some d-bag had shot him in the shoulder with a bb and it had eventually wedged itself in and tore up his shoulder joint. People are the worst.

We had a similar (but not quite as bad) experience a few months back - took our new boy in for his first visit, knew he was getting over heartworm, so the vet decided to do a full chest x-ray - and spotted at least one BB in there. Fortunately, not in a place that should pose any danger to him, but who the hell would shoot this sweetheart of a dog????

We had a similar (but not quite as bad) experience a few months back - took our new boy in for his first visit, knew he was getting over heartworm, so the vet decided to do a full chest x-ray - and spotted at least one BB in there. Fortunately, not in a place that should pose any danger to him, but who the hell would shoot this sweetheart of a dog????

Yea, it doesn't make any sense why someone would do that. The vet told us there is no point in trying to remove them. They won't cause harm by being there but removing them could cause complications. Sounds like your boy got off to a rough start! I bet he's in a great home now and good to hear the heartworm is under control

Back