Homebrew Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterfield

Reaction score
So I started brewing early this summer, and have really gotten...lets say, obsessed with it.

I'm a junior in college and majoring in Chemical Engineering, so, obviously, I took my obsession and started/am starting a club for it.

I've got a good member base, faculty advisor, and backing from the other faculty in charge of getting it set up. But, I was curious about any input for our constitution/bylaws. It's going to be an all inclusive club, not just a 21+ club. We can focus on the techniques behind creation rather than drinking, not that we won't drink of course.

We'll have to organize it so that 21+ members of the club taste and we can hold info sessions and such.

Any ideas?

I would suggest setting up sub groups and keep the drinking/tasting and the theory/social activities separate. You don't want to get into a situation of supporting underage drinking.

Our homebrew club involves drinking copious amounts of homebrew in a very short time after 10 minutes of random gossip and "hellos".

More information about brewing can happen when good and loaded. Talk comes freely and shy people open up.

I've got a basic constitution done. it focuses on the education aspect of it and allows for underage members to be present but not participate in tasting etc.

We'll see if it flies...

It'll probably be fine unless it becomes really popular and powerful people start catching wind of it. Eventually someone within the university who has the power to shut it down and has a stick up their ass will come knocking. So, just be careful, I guess.

BTW, ChemE is a great education for a brewer :). 10 years ago, I was in the same place you are now. Except, instead of starting a club, I got a job at the LHBS.

I'd kill for that opportunity, but just my luck, there's nothing here. Well, nothing but a weird converted house that sells mostly used books and herbs along with a few mr. beer kits. My LHBS is back home, 10hrs away.

I did on the other hand apply for a few jobs at breweries for the summer, with any luck one of those'll turn out for me.

Back