1st AG - 1st Keg - Lagunitas IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
Got the recipe from BYO 150 magazine. Had brew day issues but got by somehow. Mash in temp dropped almost 10 degrees from target and needed over a gallon of hot water to get it back up. Four ounces of whole hops in the boil made it very difficult to get the wort drained into the fermenter. Next time I'll use a mesh bag. Didn't get an OG reading, but fermentation was bigger than any of my three previous partial mash/extract brews. Aerated the wort with an aquarium pump and aluminum air stone. FG was 1.008. After 8 days under 9.5 psi in a corny keg SWMBO and I both agreed this one's a keeper. My birthday is Saturday. I'll be forming an in depth analysis then.
:mug: :drunk:

If you like IPA's... give this one a try... good beer, no kaka.

I'm boiling this right now. I got the recipe from a forum. Did the BYO recipe call for a 160 degree mash? Glad it came out well.

How does it compare to the real Lagunitas? I recently had my first opportunity to try it and was very pleased. It sounds like you were very ontop of your game as far as the 1st AG went (what with the aquarium pump/stone.)

Care to share the recipe?

11.33 lbs 2 row pale malt
0.4 lbs dextrine malt
0/3 lbs crystal malt 60L
0.2 lbs light Munich malt
8.25 AAU Horizon hops @60 min (0.75 oz of 11% alpha acid)
4.5 AAU Cascade hops @ 30 min (0.90 oz of 5% alpha acid)
1.25 AAU Willamette hops @ 30 min (0.25 oz of 5% alpha acid)
15.75 AAU Cascade hops @ 0 min (3.15 oz of 5% alpha acid)
1 tsp Irish moss @ 15 min
Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

mash at 154 degress. Boil for 90 minutes. Add hops at recipe times.
Let wort sit for 15 minutes before cooling.

LHBS did not have Horizon hops so I substituted Northern Brewer.
The Cascades were whole leaf, all others were pellets. As far as the
comparison goes, the taste is reasonably close, color was a shade darker
but still within style, and is similarly cloudy, but not murky.

Just found out that HBT provides photo storage, so here it is....

Lagunitas1.JPG

How does it compare to the real Lagunitas? I recently had my first opportunity to try it and was very pleased. It sounds like you were very ontop of your game as far as the 1st AG went (what with the aquarium pump/stone.)

Care to share the recipe?

I had my first Lagunitas IPA 2 days ago. Very good stuff. I am in the process of planning my first IPA, so this week i have had, at least one, IPA per night.

I ran in the Northwest Passage relay race last year. Lagunitas had a team, and was giving a case of beer to any team that had something about beer written on their van as long as they could take a picture.

I was presented a warm, partially drank, bottle of Lagunitas at the end of my 3rd leg and it was darn tasty!

Back