Hop sediment woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
I'm a bit new to brewing and have just started dry hopping my beers. I just opened the first bottle from one of my recent batches. It had a reasonably good flavor but I was disappointed to see a large amount of sediment which I believe is hop fragments. I recall from the dry hopping days that the hop matter never seemed to fall to the bottom (even after a couple of weeks) and I think much of it ended up in the beer. I believe this (coupled with dry hopping for too long) has contributed some unappealing tannin flavors to the beer.

My questions are:

(1) is it normal for the hop sediment to have stay high so long
(a) and is it a function of temperature (e.g., my temps were pretty high after fermentation)?
(2) what's a good way to filter this out? can i put a mesh on the siphon or something?

Thanks

2- When you rack to bottling bucket, wrap the end of your racking cane with some cheesecloth or a grain bag. This will keep out the majority of noticeable sediment. You may have to clean the bag off a few times while racking, but that just shows you that it's working.

You didn't say whether you used whole or pellets, but I like to use whole hops for dry hopping (no bag). They are easy to rack out from under and leave very little sediment compared to pellets.

Personally I don't think post-fermentation temperature is very critical. Tannins come from grain, not hops - though you can get a grassy flavor if dry hops are left too long. I usually leave them 5-7 days (10 max) then go to bottle.

I have used the bag trick to filter the sediment from pellets, it works but I found it to be a PITA and not necessary with whole hops.

The last bottle form the bucket seems to get a lot of the sediment. I put that one in my private reserve for much later. It will settle to the bottom over time.

You may want to use hop bags.

Back