Fat tax return...what should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
Between a fat tax return and a sweet bonus at work, I have decided to buy equipment for all grain brews. :rockin: My wife is pulling a Jane Jetson on me :mad: (watch the opening of The Jetsons if you are unsure what I'm talking about) But I have put my foot down and said I am buying some all grain equipment. Currently I have equipment for extract brews. What is the least amount of equipment I will need for all grain and provide links to where I can buy the stuff. Thanks!

If you're willing to have someone else crush your grain for you then you can get by with $50-$55 max for a cooler that you convert to an MLT, and $60 or so for a pot that's at least 8 gallons.

I'd recommend at least a 55k btu burner as well.

Schwind, I disagree. I don't think that there's anything wrong with looking to go AG with a minimum investment. That's how I made the jump to AG. I've made multiple upgrades since then, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with only buying what you 'have to' to go AG. Your comment conveys that one should not make the jump to AG unless one is prepared to invest a substantial amount of money and that's just not true.

I would also invest in a wort chiller. If you are handy, you can make a pretty cheap one with copper ordered from coppertubingsales.com

l.

Schwind, I disagree. I don't think that there's anything wrong with looking to go AG with a minimum investment. That's how I made the jump to AG. I've made multiple upgrades since then, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with only buying what you 'have to' to go AG. Your comment conveys that one should not make the jump to AG unless one is prepared to invest a substantial amount of money and that's just not true.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Don't wait until you have every little perk before you take the plunge. Have at 'er with the minimum and all the little steps are much more exciting.

OP, my bad.

My intention was not to discourage you. I only meant that going all grain is a big step in brewing and I didn't make the choice lightly. I did a s*it ton of research to make sure that I spent my money where it needed to be spent, and that I got the eqipment that I felt was right for me. I am still collecting parts and pieces and I doubt I will ever be truely finished buying, reading, learning, and/or making things that will help me brew a better beer. And I figured out everything I needed to do by searching this forum and reading about the all grain process. Hell I just swapped parts on my keggle this evening to add a dip tube that didn't clog.(Finally)

Anyways,
I got my 10 gallon Ribbermaid cooler from ACE hardware/True Value-$50

Read Flyguy's MLT conversion thread for parts- also at ACE-$15-20

Bayou Classic has SS pots for a decent price

Any Home depot/lowes has a turkey fryer burner $40-60

Also, when making the jump to all grain, try to plan ahead now. For instance, you can get an turkey fryer setup with a 55k btu burner and 7.5 gal boil pot for under 90 bucks. However, you can score a bayou classic burner 84k btu (i think) for under 50 on amazon, and a 10 gal aluminum boil pot for 50 bucks from an online resturant supply store. I am just like you, I studied my ass off before making the jump (still jumping). Below is a list of things I bought/made for under $210 so I could attempt all grain;
MTL...................$54
Wort chiller.........$52
40qt pot.............$52
Burner................$49

Now if this F'ing recession would get over with and people stop making stupid F'ing decissions maybe I could continue on my build, IMHO. :rockin:

Also, when making the jump to all grain, try to plan ahead now. For instance, you can get an turkey fryer setup with a 55k btu burner and 7.5 gal boil pot for under 90 bucks. However, you can score a bayou classic burner 84k btu (i think) for under 50 on amazon, and a 10 gal aluminum boil pot for 50 bucks from an online resturant supply store. I am just like you, I studied my ass off before making the jump (still jumping). Below is a list of things I bought/made for under $210 so I could attempt all grain;
MTL...................$54
Wort chiller.........$52
40qt pot.............$52
Burner................$49

Now if this F'ing recession would get over with and people stop making stupid F'ing decissions maybe I could continue on my build, IMHO. :rockin:

Also add $50 for the beer I drank during reading/building.

I already had a turkey fryer kit and an old 5 gallon drink cooler. Going All Grain cost me about $25 for the ball valve and SS braid...worked great for several batches, while I learned the process. For an ideal setup, if you didn't have an outside propane burner, I'd buy these things:

Propane Burner w/ Stand: $54 shipped - Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner Outdoor Patio Stove: Home & Garden

If you're a DIY guy, then build a keggle for around $80 (legally of course :D)
If you're not, then buy a pot between 8-15 gallons ($50-200): Aluminum Sauce Pot, 60 qt, Sauce Pots, Cookware, Kitchen Supplies

Rectangular cooler for MLT ($40): Walmart.com: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler: Camping
Coleman extreme 72 qt. (or get a smaller one if you'll only do 5 gallon batches)

Ball Valve and SS Braid (~$40): Bargain Fittings (look for the weldless fitting for "extreme" type cooler if you get the one listed above)
Build a SS braid manifold for cheap using this guide: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

That's pretty much it. You could add another burner and kettle if you wanted to have a really nice setup, but you can always do that later. Here's a pic of my original AG setup. 5g mash tun in the foreground, heating the mash-in water in the background:

DSCF0113.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a 48 qt. mash tun cooler with stainless manifod and pvc sparge arm. i will sell it to you for $75 plus whatever shipping from virginia beach. or, if you are slightly handy, you can make one for about 50-60. you need a wort chiller and a big pot. also, you need a high btu burner to boil five gallons.you can call me at 757-831-4270 if you want the mashtun. you can look at it on my gallery or on craig's list for hampton roads, va.

Thanks for the responses. I already have a burner and kettle capable of handling full boils. I think all I need is a mash/lauter tun and a chiller. I am not crafty by any means so buying a cooler and converting it would be a disater. I was thinking about just buying this Single Infusion Mash & Sparge Tun

Then the only other thing I can think of is a wort chiller. Then Im set.

I agree... if your going to make a diy MLT, go with the ten gallon, you will want the room later... I just started going all grain on my last batch and would have to say that a chiller is very important. I thought I could use my old method of chilling the wort in the sink or in another pot but let me tell you, my new bigger brew pot did not like this idea... off to the bath tube we went and that just took way to long. Thats my two cents.

If you have an aluminum pot I would upgrade to a stainless one. I had an aluminum one and the walls are very thin so it eventually got a hole in the bottom after only a summer of brewing. Maybe other people don't have this problem but if you have the money to spend I would say get a stainless pot.

I am not crafty by any means so buying a cooler and converting it would be a disater.

I think you underestimate yourself! Look at the thread for converting a cooler to a mash tun. Only DIY stuff you do is screwing things together!:D

With a pot and burner, making a mash tun and getting a chiller, you will be way ready for AG.

Take the plunge and have a ball!

Back