First Timer With Mead Questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordogg42

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am familiar with the beer brewing process, but not mead making. I wish to make a mead and have it ready in 7 months. This should be possible, but result in a sweeter taste?

Are there are special items that aren't used in beer brewing I will need?

This is for my sister's wedding and I am looking for a foolproof strawberry mead or similar recipe.

Any advice or trusted resources will be appreciated.

If you modify joes ancient orange mead to have strawberries in you should do okay. I'd use a different yeast and remember to chunk the strawberries not purée them. Keep at least some orange in it, take the rind off, ado rack to a secondary on more strawberries. After that make it your own.

Thank you for the replies so far. My biggest concern was the timeframe (7 months).

I'll probably end up using frozen strawberries, cut into chunks and placed into a hopsack.

I have a raspberry mead that has consistently been ready in seven months. Can be made with as few as 12oz/gallon raspberries and frozen apple-raspberry concentrate. Is quite delicious and was a hit at a BFF's beach wedding.

Per gallon:
12-84oz red raspberries, frozen and thawed
1-2 cans frozen apple-raspberry concentrate
1.5 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp yeast nutrient and energizer
One cup less than one gallon water**
1 campden tablet
2-3lb honey

In primary bucket: Place fruit in straining bag and combine everything but the honey and yeast and allow to rest for 12 hours. Then add honey in increments until you reach target OG of 1.085. Pitch yeast, 71B, per pkt instructions. Cover bucket lightly, stir twice a day and lightly squeeze bag during that time. Remove fruit within 3-5 days. Transfer to carboy/airlock when OG has dropped by 2/3. Rack in one month and every two months after that as long as mead is dropping sediment. Ideal must temp while fermenting should not exceed 68F. Once fermented to dry, drop temp by at least 10F to facilitate clearing, the cooler the better. May add Sparkalloid at five month mark if necessary. At least two weeks prior to bottling, backsweeten after stabilizing with k-meta and sorbate with 1/2# honey(melted apple-rasp concentrate), or to taste, and rack one final time before bottling.
**The volume made allows excess for topping up.

This can also be made with 8# fruit per gallon and no water or concentrate. Do not exceed this amount of fruit. Found the all fruit version was ready as early as nine months.
If using 2# or less fruit I prefer to use two cans frozen concentrate. To date I have never had to add Sparkolloid. Do not exceed OG listed if you desire an early drinker. Of the various fruit/concentrate combos made, it seems that 12oz berries and two containers of concentrate per gallon is a favorite of many.

I have a raspberry mead that has consistently been ready in seven months. Can be made with as few as 12oz/gallon raspberries and frozen apple-raspberry concentrate. Is quite delicious and was a hit at a BFF's beach wedding.

Per gallon:
12-84oz red raspberries, frozen and thawed
1-2 cans frozen apple-raspberry concentrate
1.5 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp yeast nutrient and energizer
One cup less than one gallon water**
1 campden tablet
2-3lb honey

In primary bucket: Place fruit in straining bag and combine everything but the honey and yeast and allow to rest for 12 hours. Then add honey in increments until you reach target OG of 1.085. Pitch yeast, 71B, per pkt instructions. Cover bucket lightly, stir twice a day and lightly squeeze bag during that time. Remove fruit within 3-5 days. Transfer to carboy/airlock when OG has dropped by 2/3. Rack in one month and every two months after that as long as mead is dropping sediment. Ideal must temp while fermenting should not exceed 68F. Once fermented to dry, drop temp by at least 10F to facilitate clearing, the cooler the better. May add Sparkalloid at five month mark if necessary. At least two weeks prior to bottling, backsweeten after stabilizing with k-meta and sorbate with 1/2# honey(melted apple-rasp concentrate), or to taste, and rack one final time before bottling.
**The volume made allows excess for topping up.

This can also be made with 8# fruit per gallon and no water or concentrate. Do not exceed this amount of fruit. Found the all fruit version was ready as early as nine months.
If using 2# or less fruit I prefer to use two cans frozen concentrate. To date I have never had to add Sparkolloid. Do not exceed OG listed if you desire an early drinker. Of the various fruit/concentrate combos made, it seems that 12oz berries and two containers of concentrate per gallon is a favorite of many.

I like the sound of this recipe.

I plan on a fairly large size batch - 15 gallons total. 3 of the 6.5gal plastic brew buckets, bulk aged then bottled.

How would I adjust yeast according to size of the batch?

Any advice on making sure it's all fairly consistent?

Yeast is easy if using a dry yeast 1 packet per should do the trick.

I like the sound of this recipe.

I plan on a fairly large size batch - 15 gallons total. 3 of the 6.5gal plastic brew buckets, bulk aged then bottled.

How would I adjust yeast according to size of the batch?

Any advice on making sure it's all fairly consistent?
Normally using 1 pack of yeast per 5 gallons is the recommended dosage.

For consistency, once it's finished and ready to bottle, just blend it all together gently. Then it should all taste the same.

Since it was used at a wedding I even made a label that told the history of mead as it related to the honeymoon. They had five gallons of this mead and five gallons of raspberry skeeter pee(started from the lees when mead was transferred at 2/3 sugar break). They will not be disappointed.

Oh, and if you can add even one pound of blk raspberries per gallon or use 16-18 oz blk raspberry jam/jelly per gallon in primary it will be even better.

Back