The Cost of Brewing Suggestions to Save $

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter840

Reaction score
So obviously we all like to make the best beer possible for the least amount of money. I was wondering what suggestions people have that allow people to brew great beer in a cost effective manner. For example I just started to keep my own yeast library and am now washing yeast. I also started an inventory in beersmith so that I only order what I truly need without any extras.

What are some things that you folks do?

Go all grain, and get in on group grain buys. Cost per pound gets really low when you do that. I'm just talking ingredients here, not hardware.

I've washed yeast in the past, and am getting ready to try freezing some for long term storage. It's a private collection strain from Wyeast that won't be offered at least through the end of the year. I have some I reserved from the last starter I made, made another starter with the reserved bit, that should be good for freezing (once I mix up the glycerine solution) as well as reserving in the fridge.

Buy hops when on sale, or in bulk too. Price for a full pound bag (online) is typically a lot better than getting the one ounce bag at the LHBS. There are some HBS' that offer 4oz and 1 pound bags too (Farmhouse for one).

Personally, I've been much happier since getting in on bulk grain buys, buying hops either on sale (as much as possible) or in bulk, and having a grain mill/crusher at home. I simply crush the grain on brew day, not even an hour before I'm mashing (also means I'm not tied to a LHBS/HBS for getting good crush, or having what I want to use). It doesn't take much effort to properly store the grain either. You can leave the sacks as they are, when not opened, and go with 5 gallon buckets to store it. Or you can get sealing barrels (make sure you can lift it when full of grain), vittle vaults, or get gamma lids for your buckets. I'm using all of those. I've added gamma lids to my 5 gallon buckets, have two vittle vaults, and four 14 gallon plastic (HDPE) barrels for grain storage. It's important to keep critters/bugs out of the grain, as well as moisture. With that taken care of, you should run out of grain long before it goes south.

Buy bulk if you can. Helps to find a few people to help pay for a sack if you dont brew often enough. I repackage bulk DME into 1 gallon ziplock bags, just like the LHBS, and sell at cost. This helps keep stock fresh also.

Bulk Bulk Bulk!

I get 50 lb bags of grain from a local brewery for $35. All my hops come from hops direct at ~$10 a pound. I get all of my water from a local spring. Take all of this into consideration and 10 gallons of beer (ingredients only) can be as cheap as $30.

I have a wife that keeps my costs in check.....

Still single, so it's all on me... :D Buying in bulk, one or two times a year, gives large cost savings. You just need the space to store what you get until you go through it. I have a freezer [almost] full of hops (the one above my kegs). I have enough grain on hand to brew several more batches. I should be getting low right around the time of the next group grain purchase. :D

I'm sure there are people out there who really save money buying in bulk, but I don't think I've met them. Everyone I know ends up brewing extra "leftover" beers a couple times per year just to clear out inventory. While their "per beer" price goes down, they end up brewing extra random beers they wouldn't have otherwise. That isn't a bad thing, but it is kinda like your wife going shopping and "saving" money buying a bunch of stuff on sale.

I'm sure there are people out there who really save money buying in bulk, but I don't think I've met them. Everyone I know ends up brewing extra "leftover" beers a couple times per year just to clear out inventory. While their "per beer" price goes down, they end up brewing extra random beers they wouldn't have otherwise. That isn't a bad thing, but it is kinda like your wife going shopping and "saving" money buying a bunch of stuff on sale.

But if they are going to drink all the beer it just offsets batches they would have made off the next bulk purchase or beer they would have bought from the store.

I have yet to brew a 'leftover beer'... If you keep the grain well/properly, it won't 'go bad' on you, so when you buy more, to get your inventory back to where you'll be able to go to the next group buy, you can simply mix the old and the new grain together. I wouldn't mix them in the bucket/barrel, but for a batch, it will be fine.

So obviously we all like to make the best beer possible for the least amount of money. I was wondering what suggestions people have that allow people to brew great beer in a cost effective manner. For example I just started to keep my own yeast library and am now washing yeast. I also started an inventory in beersmith so that I only order what I truly need without any extras.

What are some things that you folks do?

It is better to order MORE than you need to save money. Try to get in on a group bulk order and you can save a lot of money. My LHBS will sell base grain in 50 lb sacks for about $1/lb. If you order it online it would be $1.25 and up, plus shipping.

I often order twice or more than what I need in specialty grains so that I make orders (shipping charges) less often. I have several varieties in stock and can brew many beers without making additional orders.

In addition to washing yeast. I also freeze yeast. Every time I get a new yeast I make a starter a little larger than I need for my beer then make up 4 vials to freeze. If I made 4 new vials each time for 4 generations I could brew 256 batches from the original purchase.

DIY as much of your equipment as you can to save money.

Don't really expect to save much. I keep track of everything I spend and it took over a year to get below $2/bottle. On the other hand I now brew a LOT more beer than I bought before brewing, so I would estimate a decade or more before I truly save any $$$,

I brew my "leftover" beers on purpose. It is fun to work with what you have on hand, or order something to go with the leftovers.

A couple of my BEST beers have come from leftovers. I make bulk orders often enough that I don't make a beer only to clear out the inventory. I make a recipe that I want that uses the older supplies.

There is an echo in here! Bulk grain! I can now brew for $4 per 12 pack including all ingredients and propane! That is 1/4 the cost of buying a similar craft beer where I live!

"But if they are going to drink all the beer it just offsets batches they would have made off the next bulk purchase or beer they would have bought from the store."

In theory, sure. In practice, most people just seem to drink more, or have friends over, or give more away etc. Somehow, no matter how much I brew, it all seems to disappear somehow. :)

kh54s10 said:
i brew my "leftover" beers on purpose. It is fun to work with what you have on hand, or order something to go with the leftovers.

A couple of my best beers have come from leftovers. I make bulk orders often enough that i don't make a beer only to clear out the inventory. I make a recipe that i want that uses the older supplies.

+1

Back