First AG Wheat beer question - gusher infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakee117

Reaction score
Ived got a few questions concerning my first AG "Wheat Beer". Recipe was:

Pale Malt 2 row - 6.6 lb
Wheat malt - 4.4
Saaz - 1.5 oz 60 min
Saaz - 1.0 oz 15 min
Saaz - 0.5 Oz Flame out
German Wheat - Wyeast #3333
OG - 1.057
FG - 1.015 ish

5.5 gal batch

Bottled 7 days ago.

1) I had a my first ever gusher today. It was a Mt Vesuvius ( The wheat really added to head retention )! Now I had sample one of these yesterday and another after the gusher and no problem so I assume that it was an isolated incident. right?

2) Maybe more important. I am noticing a sulphury twang throughout the several bottles. Is this because it is still "green"?

I have not been brewing long, but I have had the same thing happen. I actually had two bottles explode, but the rest were a little low on carbonation. The only thing I could think of is that I did not get a good mix when I added the priming sugar/water before bottling. Also I have found with my wheat beers that the flavor really comes out after 4-5 weeks in the bottle. Hope this helps.

plumber said:
I have not been brewing long, but I have had the same thing happen. I actually had two bottles explode, but the rest were a little low on carbonation. The only thing I could think of is that I did not get a good mix when I added the priming sugar/water before bottling. Also I have found with my wheat beers that the flavor really comes out after 4-5 weeks in the bottle. Hope this helps.

I think you are 100% correct. I tried another ( wont try again for 3 weeks ). It is tart but not sour. I'm going to leave this batch alone and drink it in a month.

If it is infected with Pedio or Lacto, you will notice a taste kinda like the zip of lemonade. Was the batch finished fermenting before you bottled it? What was the FG? I let mine sit for about 1 month total (about 2 wks in primary and secondary) prior to bottling, then let the bottles condition for about 1 month even before I try them. How much priming sugar did you add? How full did you fill the bottles? Hope no more explode on you-that ain't fun!

How come so many first time home brewers have problems with infections? The rules are, anything after the boil is subject to infection and everything that touches the beer should be sterilized. Failure at any point after the boil will result in infected beer. Use Starsan @1oz per 5 gallons and everything has to go in the sterilizer! Your hands should be sterile too or at least wear sterile gloves.

Actually I have no infection. Just a stray gusher. Rest of my beer is fine. No Newbie problem here..

Your stray gusher could be from a stray bottle that did not get completely santitized. That would explain the problem being an islolated one, and not the whole batch.

Back