Charleston Homebrewing Community

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone down here grow hops? I know im going to be late to planting them, but im going to order some cascade, columbus, and nugget rhizomes tonight.

Anyone down here grow hops? I know im going to be late to planting them, but im going to order some cascade, columbus, and nugget rhizomes tonight.

We've only been in Charleston since January, but we have three year old Willamette, Kent and Cascade plants that are doing ok right now. Hops tend to not like the heat as much, but ya never know.

Keep in mind wherever you plant them, their roots like to grow out more than down. So, don't plant them where you have other plants you want to keep. They'll rule to ground.
Ours are in self-watering 5 gallon containers. This has definitely kept them smaller than we'd hoped, but we don't want to plant them directly in the ground until we find a house to buy.

Another local in the West Ashley area. Have a pumpkin ale I need to bottle this weekend. Would like to get into kegging soon, bottling is for the birds...

Oh I wish I had the setup to keg. But until then I've got > 300 bottles to keep rotating through. I kind of feel like a hoarder.

Where do you guys ordered your supplies from? I've been going through midwest, but was wondering if there was a better online source.

I usually order from austinhomebrew.com. if you buy a kit it ships free. and they don't charge you ridiculous amounts for shipping like midwest and northern brewer do. I'm also in west ashley. where are you jcioni?

I usually order from austinhomebrew.com. if you buy a kit it ships free. and they don't charge you ridiculous amounts for shipping like midwest and northern brewer do. I'm also in west ashley. where are you jcioni?

Thanks, I'll check them out. Yeah Midwest does like to charge a lot for shipping. I'm in Carolina Bay, just built a house in there recently.

Holy city brewery sells homebrew ingredients. Just check website for ingredients. Cool guys.

Have a pint while they crush your grains. You will leave with some sage brewing advice. You can get a growler to go.

You're not too far from me then. I'm just off of Magwood in The Meadows of Westborough. Interested in brewing together some time?

Holy city brewery sells homebrew ingredients. Just check website for ingredients. Cool guys.

Have a pint while they crush your grains. You will leave with some sage brewing advice. You can get a growler to go.

They don't crush grains anymore, or sell by the lb. You can get a 55lb bag though

There will be two homebrew stores opening soon in the Charleston area. I know one of the guys but not the other. One is in Mt. P and the other is in North Charleston.

I generally get full sacks from Holy City and order everything else from Rebelbrewer.com, I'm interested to see how the local stores do. I don't think the market can support two.

A bunch of us have been discussing a bulk buy through Low Country Libations - local homebrew club.

Anyone off work and interested in brewing with me tomorrow? Have a Belma Pale Ale scheduled from 8am-1pm. PM me if you are interested.

There will be two homebrew stores opening soon in the Charleston area. I know one of the guys but not the other. One is in Mt. P and the other is in North Charleston.

I generally get full sacks from Holy City and order everything else from Rebelbrewer.com, I'm interested to see how the local stores do. I don't think the market can support two.

A bunch of us have been discussing a bulk buy through Low Country Libations - local homebrew club.

Do you have names of the stores or where they will be in those cities?

The North Charleston store is supposed to be located off Montague Ave and the Mount Pleasant store is off Long Point Rd. I was told the name of the Mt. P store but dont remember.

Back