First batch not sure what did wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathy2472

Reaction score
Made a batch of pumpkin ale. Left it in primary one week and rack to secondary. As per directions. added two cans of pumpkin purée to the boil. OG reading was 1.05 Before racking I took gravity reading was 1.010. A little lower then directions said had final gravity is 1.014 - 1.012. Moved primary gently last night and placed on kitchen counter sat for about 20 hours. Racked today. The bottom gallon had lots of stuff floating in it. Clogged auto siphon. I left it behind. There was Very little trub/ Yeast cake just this thick slug. Is this normal? did I do something wrong? Was it because of the purée? Or did I disturb cake when moving? Thanks

My guess would be it's because of the puree. I'm guessing it's too late to post a picture, but if you have one that would definitely help. It's not common to have to leave that much behind in my experience.

High trub loss is normal when working with pumpkin and other high cellulose content adjuncts. Cold crashing can help to condense it a little to minimize loss. Working with additions like pumpkin can be troublesome, especially on your first brew. It sounds like you made it through, so chalk this one up to experience.

The sludge that you see in the bottom is the cake. It's a mix of yeast, protein, and in this case plant matter.

kathy2472 said:
How thick is the yeast cake suppose to be?

I don't know about your recipe, but with Yuri's thunderstruck pumpkin, the longer you let it sit, the more compact the trub gets. Now, there is still a loss of a gal or so. Look through that thread at pictures to give you an idea.
Either way, you made beer and I'm sure it will be good!! :)

kathy2472 said:
Oh I was thinking I stirred up the yeast cake.

Na, 20 hrs is well more than enough time for any disturbed yeast to settle back down. Most likely the pumpkin is the culprit. More time in primary a d a cold crash if able might get you a little better compacted cake.

One last question is a cold crash the ice bath. Because I did that. And if it tastes good its worth the loss. Can't wait to try.

kathy2472 said:
One last question is a cold crash the ice bath. Because I did that. And if it tastes good its worth the loss. Can't wait to try.

The cold crash is taking the whole fermentor when you are ready to bottle or rack to secondary, and putting it in the fridge for a day or two. Helps settle out some of the stuff still in suspension.
Not necessary, but helps clarify the beer.

I feel the same way as you, I have a honey wheat in secondary and I lost just over a gal, if it tastes as good as I think it will, I will just have to make it more often!!

Let us know how it turns out.

Bottled it today smelled and tasted great...can't wait to try it cold..Few more weeks. Thanks for all your help.

Just opened my very first beer. Needed a dash more cinnamon which I added on top and it was perfect. Thanks for taking the time to help with my first batch. my only regret is I can't offer you one.

Back