Burner , good price , 210K BTU here it is

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusKillion

Reaction score
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...ge-patio-stove-with-hose-guard/554BPHP17.html

I just bought one of these . Can not beat that price . It is the re-branded bayou classic banjo KAB4 I think but came about 25 bucks cheaper . $67.99 and I think 18.95 for shipping . Here in Wichita there is no place to buy a decent anything . Any good stuff must be ordered . So if you can find this in a store 68 bucks is a good buy for sure .

Just a word of advice . Menards sells a cheap 41K burner for about 35 bucks . It burns badly with a yellow flame i.e. not hot , should be good and blue . Leaves black soot all over the bottom of the pot and takes at least an hour and 15 minutes to bring 8 gallons of hot wort to boil and then will not boil it strong .

This burner is great . Boils quickly after you figure out how to adjust the oxygen for the flame . Just crank it up and then turn the air adjuster until the flame is nice and blue . This thing is super heavy duty not like the banjo burners or others . The legs on this are 1/2 inch in diameter , twice that of others . It is very heavy but worth the extra work to move it around . I really like it . Do not think there is a pot that this could not hold up.

they quoted me a shipping charge of $28 for a $70 item. Seems high on the shipping so I wanted your opinon on the setup first.

something wrong there . I paid 18.95 which I thought was very good for a 35 pound burner .
What did you order ? Was it big ? Maybe the box size matters .

EDIT : I jsut re ordered the burner at 67.99 and got ground shipping for 19.72

something wrong there . I paid 18.95 which I thought was very good for a 35 pound burner .
What did you order ? Was it big ? Maybe the box size matters .

EDIT : I jsut re ordered the burner at 67.99 and got ground shipping for 19.72

I got a shipping quote of $28 for this burner and stand at the price of $68. Not sure why the shipping is more to Iowa than it is to Kansas.

another note on that burner is that the legs are very solid as they are bent in a way to hold weight and not just welded to the ring on the burner but bent all the way back up like a paper clip and welded to the top part of the leg . No way this will cave in .

I just put in your zip code and it gave me 23.54 . Still more than here .
If you know anyone with a business you can send it to it gives 18.60 . They ship to business cheaper . Perhaps you can send it to your place of work if you have a nice employer.

I teach at a public school so I doubt that shipping to my work would make my boss very happy unless I could prove that it is something our science lab needs.

If using this burner, how many brew sessions do you roughly get out of a 20 lb propane tank? I know it will depend on the size of the brew session being 5 or 10 gallons.

I have not had it long enough to know . I really do not see it using more than any other as a small burner would take a lot more to boil 5 gallons of water than a large burner but this does use more gas since it has that huge burner in it but then boiling faster I think should save gas in the long run . An hour and a half for a 35K to boil 7 gallons or maybe 20 minutes or so for this one . I am not good at record keeping so I do not know . I only used it a few times so far and used with two different bottles .
I do not know about where you live but here menards sells propane cheaper than others . I also used to get my bottles filled at a RV place and it was much cheaper .

I have not had it long enough to know . I really do not see it using more than any other as a small burner would take a lot more to boil 5 gallons of water than a large burner but this does use more gas since it has that huge burner in it but then boiling faster I think should save gas in the long run . An hour and a half for a 35K to boil 7 gallons or maybe 20 minutes or so for this one . I am not good at record keeping so I do not know . I only used it a few times so far and used with two different bottles .
I do not know about where you live but here menards sells propane cheaper than others . I also used to get my bottles filled at a RV place and it was much cheaper .

Are you still happy wit this burner? Do you think it could support a keggle?

posting some pics for measurements

Picture 005 (Medium).jpg

Picture (Medium).jpg

Picture 004 (Medium).jpg

Picture 003 (Medium).jpg

Picture 002 (Medium).jpg

I wonder why the photo on the website is different than the one you received? The one pictured doesn't look anything alike, but, what you did get looks like my burner.

Look at the gas inlet end..
554bphp17_pic2_xlg.jpg

In the picture online, the burner is bolted, not welded in place, but your photo differs?
554bphp17_xlg.jpg

Also, that looks way cheaper than the real Bayou Classic version. I modified a friend's Bayou Classic burner to move the burner up (instructions found on the internet somewhere), and I had much more than a few tacks to cut off vs what is shown in your second photo.

Looks beefy! I wish they made comparably cheaper versions of the smaller burners- I just don't need that much heat but am done with my turkey fryer.

The bayou classic is very thin as far as I have seen from them . Legs are flimsy and can not hold the kind of weight this does . This is actually a revamped bayou classic KAB4 I think it was . this is far more sturdy . the legs are welded in 5 places down the inside of the body and the top of the leg . They do have a KAB6 210,000 BTU now that will hold large pots and is sturdy but the price is far greater .

EDIT: Also the legs are welded on both sides to the body so that is 10 welds per leg to the body and one to the top of the leg to the leg.

Looks beefy! I wish they made comparably cheaper versions of the smaller burners- I just don't need that much heat but am done with my turkey fryer.

yes it seems that smaller BTU burners are priced a bit high and also a lot of them are not worth owning for any reason like the one I bought from Menards . JUNK . Yellow flame all the time and took 1 1/2 hours I think it was to boil a 7 gallons . blackened my pot from soot.
I just turn this one up to get a boil fast and then turn the flame way down low for my 7 to 8 gallon boils . It may still eat up a bit more propane than the other one I have but I am not sure since the other one takes so long to boil but it is only 34K BTU I think.

That looks like a decently constructed burner stand, not the flimsy kind you see everywhere.

Don't stare blind on given data. Large numbers sell better...

From Blichmann's website:
We also documented that the published BTU of competitive burners varied wildly from actual measured results. Measuring the performance is straightforward: Simply run the burner for an hour at full power and measure the weight of the propane used in pounds. Then, multiply the weight in pounds by 21,000 to get the burner rating in BTU / hour. For example. the Bayou Classic has a published rating of 180 KBTU / hour but only measured at 68 KBTU / hour.​

That looks like a decently constructed burner stand, not the flimsy kind you see everywhere.

Don't stare blind on given data. Large numbers sell better...

From Blichmann's website:
We also documented that the published BTU of competitive burners varied wildly from actual measured results. Measuring the performance is straightforward: Simply run the burner for an hour at full power and measure the weight of the propane used in pounds. Then, multiply the weight in pounds by 21,000 to get the burner rating in BTU / hour. For example. the Bayou Classic has a published rating of 180 KBTU / hour but only measured at 68 KBTU / hour.​

just like fuel mileage . Never really what they say .
I do not know what it eats but I am very happy with the performance and time to boil my 8 gallons and I bet I could set my car on top of it like a jack stand with no problems . The way they bent the legs is an engineering move that I bet makes it much stronger than the bayou it was made from . Not that the bayou is bad at all . The KBA6 looks good.

Hey Marcus - I am looking at this burner too. Any issues with the distance from the burner to the pot (like the KAB4)? I am thinking about using this burner for 40-50 gallon boils so I am hoping the BTU output comes as advertised.

I have no issues with it at all that were not my fault . I have over boiled my pot several times .
the distance between the top of burner and the pot is 4 inches . I do not have any problems with burnt sugars in bottom of pot if that is what you are worried about .
This is a KAB4 burner with a 30 psi regulator according to spec I read one time . It was remade with the strong legs .
I think it puts out a very good BTU and must be close to advertised . It boils my 8 gallons in about 20 minutes if I remember right .

Great, thanks. Just ordered it ($87/shipped) and should have it in a few days.

Are you really brewing 50 gallons ?
If so then what do use for a boil pot a tanker trailer ?
You may need two burners for that amount of brew.

Yep, a 55 gallon stainless drum fitted with some weldless fittings. We are going to work on a stand but I'll probably prop it up on blocks and slide the burner under for the time being. I think 210K BTU should cut it. I think.

might take a while to boil all that . Better get two bottles of propane or better yet a 100 Lb tank .
Sure would suck to brew that much and make one you did not like !

when you get that up and running can you post a pic . I sure would like to see that . Also would like to know how long it takes to get that pot boiling .

MarcusKillion said:
might take a while to boil all that . Better get two bottles of propane or better yet a 100 Lb tank .
Sure would suck to brew that much and make one you did not like !

when you get that up and running can you post a pic . I sure would like to see that . Also would like to know how long it takes to get that pot boiling .

I think we are going to start with a 35 gallon boil to test it. We have 12 hops plants ready to harvest at months end and will do a fresh hop IPA to test it out. I'll be sure to get some pics up.

Well the burner worked great. Used it to get mash/sparge temps up to where they needed to be. I then used it to get about 40 gallons to a rolling boil. It took a little time to get it up to a boil but once we got there it was smooth sailing. The only downfall to the whole day was the amount of propane we went through. Probably used up about a tank and a half total (30#). Plus the tanks started freezing up, I need to research that to see what was causing it. Other than that the burner worked great.

tank freezing up sometimes is caused by too much propane flow and or temperature . happened to me a while back on a tank that was only about a quarter full or less . I used the same tank up on a day when the temp was warmer .

so the answer to your question in short is that propane boils off at about -44 degrees and the colder it is outside the less pressure in tank because it boils off less into gas and the amount of gas being used by that big burner is more than the 20 Lb tank can handle so it freezes .
Cut back the pressure on regulator a bit or use a big tank . If you are boiling huge amounts of water then I would suggest a 100 pound tank .

One more thing . I would think ? Just think, that the amount of propane used by this burner to boil that volume of wort should not be too much more than the amount it would take to boil it with a small burner that would have to work for far longer to get there .
try boiling 5 gallons of water with this then use a 35k or something to boil that 5 gallons and see how long it takes . Perhaps put the bottle on a bathroom scale while doing it to see how much weight is lost on each

Good ideas. I think I'm going to look into a 100# tank. One of the reasons it took so long was the boil would stop and start because the tank would freeze up. I think it'll be more consistent even if we turn the pressure down, if we get a bigger tank or leave it in a bucket of water. And I think you are right - we did six 5 gallon sessions at once so I probably would use close to two tanks on those.

Back