Flaked vs. Malted (Rye, that is)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
So I've decided on my next brew and am going to start tinkering with the recipe in the upcoming days (will most likely brew first weekend in Sept).

I'm going to go for a mean between Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale (a session favourite of mine) and the Rye Squared. Shooting right down the middle adjusts me at a 6.9% (ish) and 69 IBU target.

On the recipe info on their website, Rye PA here, they list malted rye as the source. However, my LHBS carries flaked rye. Is there a difference, and if so, big or small? I'd prefer to not specialty order because my LHBS = :rockin: and I like supporting their business.

Hopefully everyone will offer me feedback once I get the recipe underway, as well. Thanks for the input.

There is a flavor difference, but not a big one. Malted rye converts itself, but they are both sticky. As long as the rye is only 5-10% of the mix, no problem using flakes. More than that, consider using 6-row and adding rice hulls.

The difference is malted rye is malted and flaked rye is not. Flaked rye is just rye that has been moistened and then put through a hot roller to flake it and gelatinize the starch so you do not have to cook it before adding it to your mash.

Malted rye is moistened, germinated over 4 or so days and dried like barley malt. Malted rye has enzyme levels similar to malted barley in terms of alpha amylase levels but the DP is on the low side at about 100 versus 140 for barley malt. Malted rye also has some soluble protein like barley malt. The flavor of malted rye is a bit mellower than flaked rye.

I hope this helps.

Dr Malt:mug:

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with the flaked since I like the rye taste a lot. However, the next step is figuring out how much, hmmm....

My Bend Rod Rye is 17% Flaked Rye. A hot mash out & batch sparging is another way to get around the stickiness.

Hmmm...I will have to do some reading up on this. It will be a partial mash, so there will still be about 3 lbs DME making up some of the base. This means the actual mash itself (I'm estimating around 8 lbs or so) will be 25% (or so) rye.

Is this cause for a stuck sparge? I will be batch sparging, and it will only be my second PM to date. Do the rice hulls people talk about relieve this? Wouldn't a hot mash-out cause tannin release from the malt? I'm confused :confused: ...good thing I have 2 more weeks :)

With that much of the mash being flakes you are probably looking at a stuck sparge. I would use 6-row in the mash and 1/2 lb rice hulls.

Can I use 1 lb rice hulls and still 2-row? I am trying to not deviate from the malts at all, if possible (with the exception of the rye).

Back