grain growing sites/ forums for beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodskreet

Reaction score
I havent found anything here other than hops growing. Any body know any good sites for growing, harvesting, storing, toasting, roasting, grains?

The reason that you do not see/find this in large quantities it is a real PITA to malt the grains. Not impossible but so time consuming it just is not worth it.

So is the malting part vital and that much of a pita? I thought you just harvested the grain and brewed

Quick answer... Malting is allowing the seed to germinate and start to grow. Once to the corrrect size the growing plant is killed. That creates the enzymes that make the sugar available for fermentation. Timing the killing part is a PITA. Time consuming, messy, and not cost effective unless you plan to brew thousands of gallons or make a lot of bread. I have prolly way oversimplified it, but you get the general idea anyway. Sorry to be a buzz kill.
Bob

Quick answer... Malting is allowing the seed to germinate and start to grow. Once to the corrrect size the growing plant is killed. That creates the enzymes that make the sugar available for fermentation. Timing the killing part is a PITA. Time consuming, messy, and not cost effective unless you plan to brew thousands of gallons or make a lot of bread. I have prolly way oversimplified it, but you get the general idea anyway. Sorry to be a buzz kill.
Bob

This thread will help:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happiness-home-malting-107409/

Let us know if you plan to try it! :mug:

thanks for the feed back guys. I just been watching these "prepping" shows and just thought what if I couldnt get grains. Just some daydreaming/curiosity on my part

You have to realize one thing, if it ain't on here in large quantities, you're not going to find huge forums devoted to something specific like that elsewhere. Where the largest homebrew forum around, with like 40,000 active member, contributing here at any given time. Heck if you google a homebrewing topic, we're usually the top 5 hits. That's why so many people find us.

But you're bound to find ANYTHING on here. I know I've posted info on home toasting and roasting in threads, even last week people were discussing it on here. Many of the stuff that start here, end up in magazines like BYO, or discusses on podcasts. Many of the threads on specific topics, like zamial pointed out about the home malting thread, become "the bible" of certain topics, and get referred to on podcasts and other brewing sites.....Like I said, all those topics you asked about in the first post, HAVE been covered ON HERE.

You lust gotta do some digging.

Back