DFH Midas Touch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Has any one else tried this? I got a hold of one today at my LHBS, I had been wanting to try one for a while. Well i was very disappointed. It tasted like cheap champaign. I honestly could not finish drinking it. I poured most of it out. This is the first beer i have ever had that I could not finish. I am just really glad I only bought a single.

I didn't find it all that great. Though, I didn't find it totally undrinkable either.

Many of the more "unique" DFH brews are like that from my POV.

I'm not a big fan of that one either. I was able to finish my 4 pack, but nothing I would buy again. I think it's all about the history of that beer that make it special. I read somewhere that they didn't even plan on distributing it, but the demand was so high, that they started. Must be all the history buffs buying it up! :)

Another DFH experiment gone wrong, I'd guess. I adore the 90 Minute, but none of their other stuff that I've tried has impressed me either. I used to like the IBA on draft, but last time I got bottles I didn't care for it. Oh well.

brewt00l said:
Many of the more "unique" DFH brews are like that from my POV.

I haven't had the Midas Touch, but from the other stuff that I have had from them...imho....they are way overrated. I mean the name of the brewery says it all imo.

zoebisch01 said:
I haven't had the Midas Touch, but from the other stuff that I have had from them...imho....they are way overrated. I mean the name of the brewery says it all imo.

I'm all for pushing the craft forward with inventive twists and new recipes but I think the marketing of their oddball brews exceeds the actual potential of the beer itself.

brewt00l said:
I'm all for pushing the craft forward with inventive twists and new recipes but I think the marketing of their oddball brews exceeds the actual potential of the beer itself.

Agreed. I think we are on the same page. :mug:

So DFH just became available in Atlanta area, I happened to see the 90 Minute, grabbed a pack of that, first time I have had it, really enjoyed it.

I bought a 4 pack of Midas Touch, almost $10. SWMBO and I split one last night, she hated it and refused to drink anymore. I finished it, but wasn't too happy about it.

Should have checked here first, oh well. . .

I guess my tastes are different. I really enjoyed DFH Midas Touch. It is not a beer in the traditional sense and if you expect it to be one you will be disappointed. But I did find it an enjoyable wine like product. I would have actually appreciated it if they had gone more authentic and made it with no hops and sold it flat instead of carbonated. I will probably have to make a batch like this at some point.
Craig

CBBaron said:
I guess my tastes are different. I really enjoyed DFH Midas Touch. It is not a beer in the traditional sense and if you expect it to be one you will be disappointed. But I did find it an enjoyable wine like product. I would have actually appreciated it if they had gone more authentic and made it with no hops and sold it flat instead of carbonated. I will probably have to make a batch like this at some point.
Craig
I agree - It's important to note that it's not really a beer, per se. It's a cross between beer, mead, wine, and god knows what else. I think some people expect it to be a beer because it's in a beer bottle and comes from a beer company, and are thus surprised by it. Myself, I bought it knowing full well that it was not a beer, and I thought it was excellent. But, since it is such a weird beverage, I can see how many people wouldn't like it - much like mead, I would guess. But, it pains me somewhat to see someone give it a bad review when from their description it's clear that the biggest problem is that they expected a beer.

I guess that's a risk dogfish head runs by being popular and producing lots of weird stuff - people trust the brand and buy the weirder drinks without doing a little research to see what it actually is and deciding in advance if it's something they think they'll like.

Three or four times while at the store I've stared down the bottles of Chateau Jiahu, debating whether or not to buy it. In the end, I've steered clear, because I'm leery of spending $15 on something I may not like at all. SWMBO doesn't go for much beyond Bud Light, so I don't have an adventurous spirit to share it with either. Maybe I could convince my brother to try it...

As far as the 90 minute IPA, I'm not a fan. the 60 minute, however, is my flagship IPA until its unseated by something better, and with the hop shortage in full swing, dogfish has a very big lead.

As far as midas touch goes, I am one of those people who was pleasently surprised by this beer, and completely refreshed by it (not physically, but perspectively). It's a rare thing to find a company who will push the boundries of beer, and even blur the lines between beer/mead/wine. To be stuck in pre-defined catagories and styles is to be ignorant of all the other possibilities out there. Hell if people didn't start screwing around with different ways to approach beer, lambics and pretty much every belgian beer wouldn't exist.

However thats a good point to bring up. Not everyone likes labics, belgians, or dogfish head. If you don't like these things, do so from a personal taste perspective, but don't knock it from a "this isn't beer" point of view. I don't know, perhaps I'm being a little harsh, but i'm the kind of person who will try pretty much anything that comes across my plate, from little squidy things to the innards of an animal I've never heard of, so my perspective is one of trying new things and opening new doors. As far as Midas Touch is concerned, I think it was a brave way to go, and I applaud them for it.

Not to mention, I think it tasted pretty damn good :)

(i'm just not a fan of paying 12 bucks for a four pack...)

mike

CBBaron said:
Craig
the recipe was in zymurgy or byo this fall

Torchiest said:
Three or four times while at the store I've stared down the bottles of Chateau Jiahu, debating whether or not to buy it. In the end, I've steered clear, because I'm leery of spending $15 on something I may not like at all. SWMBO doesn't go for much beyond Bud Light, so I don't have an adventurous spirit to share it with either. Maybe I could convince my brother to try it...

Was this the one that was made off of the residue samples left on pottery in china in BC times?

If it was I had it and girlfriend liked it, and I thought it sucked.

eriktlupus said:
the recipe was in zymurgy or byo this fall
Its actually been in BYO twice. Once in replicator article and then again recently in an article about ancient brews and DFH.
I intend to brew something a little different soon. I plan on increasing the honey and grape amounts and reducing or eliminating the hops. I'm just undecided on whether I should go with a white grape like DFH used or a red grape like I usually prefer in wine. I keep flip flopping on what flavors will go better.
Craig

Latest posts

Back