Oak Aging in a Mr. Beer (Barrel)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
So does anyone foresee any issue with using a mr. beer "barrel" to oak age 2 gallons of brew? I plan to age 2 gallons of a Xmas Bush De Noel Clone and have my old mr. beer fermenter available... Any suggestions on oaking with cubes? thanks!!

It is a grade 3 plastic...

the only problem i would see is that the lid is not air tight. the threads have two grooves that allow the co2 to escape during an active ferment. this would let o2 in, since you would well past the active fermentation stage.

I suppose it depends on how long you intend on aging it. I personally wouldn't leave it in plastic over a period of months (even with a tight sealing cap) because people claim that plastic is porous, allowing oxygen to permeate its surface. I see no problem oaking for a week or two in a Mr. Beer keg though. Again, I don't know how much oak you're using or how strong of a flavor you're going for.

I just want a mild oak presents... I don't think its true to a belgian strong ale.

I was wondering why when I put a airlock on the mr. beer fermenter it never showed action lol.

fromZwolle do you think I would be better off using my Carlo Rossi glass 1 gallon growlers and doing two separate gallons?

I just want a mild oak presents... I don't think its true to a belgian strong ale.

I was wondering why when I put a airlock on the mr. beer fermenter it never showed action lol.

fromZwolle do you think I would be better off using my Carlo Rossi glass 1 gallon growlers and doing two separate gallons?

that's probably what i would do.

Back