Show me a better film than Dead Man

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You can't, can you.

From the compelling music by Neil Young to the disjointed but poignant story line to the steady insanity of the characters, this may be one of the best films ever made.

If you disagree, state your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typically not a fan of westerns, but it could be worth checking out on netflix. I like some of Neil Young's stuff. Some of it is pretty rough (not in a good way). It's almost like he was doing a bunch of drugs when he wrote his music (not in a good way).

The presence of Johnny Depp in this movie precludes it from the "best ever" classification. Mr Depp did one good movie, maybe 2.

Typically not a fan of westerns, but it could be worth checking out on netflix. I like some of Neil Young's stuff. Some of it is pretty rough (not in a good way). It's almost like he was doing a bunch of drugs when he wrote his music (not in a good way).
his stuff is very rough, largely because a lot of it is raw emotion, and its a sound he actively seeks out. the way he runs one of his electric guitars is so taxing that the amp has to have a fan constantly running through it to prevent the circuitry from melting. and he was doing a lot of drugs for a lot of his career. he also has done several songs about the problems caused by drug abuse surrounding him (needle and the damage done, tonight's the night). one of my favorite artists regardless. back to the question at hand... two words.... the goonies

Well, if this is now a discussion on the best movie ever, I'd have to suggest Conan The Barbarian with Jeremiah Johnson as a close runner up.

and it's over.
Seriously Meat Portion!? I could reach into my kid's cartoon collection and have a decent chance of pulling out something better.

It wasn't terrible, but thanks to this, my wife now gets the next 15 movie picks she says. haha

The presence of Johnny Depp in this movie precludes it from the "best ever" classification. Mr Depp did one good movie, maybe 2.

I beg to differ i can think of at least 4 GREAT movies he has been it, Pirates of the Caribbean series!

As a classic movie buff, I'm a tremendous Spencer Tracy fan...sucks that so few vids exist of his stuff online (excluding some from Captains Courageous or Inherit the Wind...too obvious...), but here's a fantastic tribute from Burt Reynolds who was Tracy's protegee:

Last edited by a moderator:
Armed Response with David Carradine... Great movie or Greatest movie?

GoldMiner said:
Dead Man was one of the dullest movies I've ever seen.

What a waste of a pretty good cast.

Jarmusch movies are typically pretty slow moving and can piss a lot of the general public off.

my specialty

Your new avatar.

gary_farmer_57587-1280x800.jpg

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
Johnny Depp is a terrific actor. He makes average movies good, and good movies great....I spit on your opinion sir!! :p

He really needs to stop with these Pirates movies...he's starting to get whored-out really bad these days....... Gotta love his role as Hunter S. Thompson though, eh???

He really needs to stop with these Pirates movies...he's starting to get whored-out really bad these days....... Gotta love his role as Hunter S. Thompson though, eh???

I challenge you or anyone else here to pull off Capt Jack Sparrow, Whored out, not even, just a brilliantly done job that keeps selling movies.

Vance71975 said:
I challenge you or anyone else here to pull off Capt Jack Sparrow, Whored out, not even, just a brilliantly done job that keeps selling movies.

Hell, he's great for the roll, surely...the first 1 or 2 were good, now it's like..."alriiiiight guy"...they're sucking his role-soul dry to keep selling movies.

Hell, he's great for the roll, surely...the first 1 or 2 were good, now it's like..."alriiiiight guy"...they're sucking his role-soul dry to keep selling movies.

Ya but that isn't him, that is just Hollywood in general. Point and case,Nightmare on elm street, Friday the 13, etc etc etc when they get a movie that sells they run it into the ground.

Back